Chapter 1 - School's Out for Summer

Greetings everybody. 

Please read! This story is very important to me, in more ways than one. I hope you can enjoy this love story to it's full capacity, and think beyond a happy ending. Wish you all well. Carry on...

By ForgottenWhisper

Chapter 1 - School's Out for Summer

"Now I realize you are all excited for school to end and summer to start. But I will give you all a reading list in hopes that you will look at it more than once, and perhaps read a few on it," the teacher, Mr. George Carter, dragged on.

As he continued, I didn't listen to a word being said for I was too busy staring at the clock. Ten minutes left until school was finished for the summer and I couldn't wait.

The summer was already perfectly planned out. My friend, Joyce and I are visiting my dad at his cottage. I was excited, but quite nervous. I hadn't seen my dad in two years, and had practically begged Joyce to join me so I wouldn't be alone with him.

My parents got divorced two years ago, and I still wasn't completely over it. The reason I hadn't seen my father was simply because I was angry at him. But I was willing to put that behind me for a hopefully pleasant stay. My mother was a talented and successful worker for the magazine Bourjoy which she just about invented. Any reason he would have for leaving my mother was beyond me. I had asked my mother about it a couple times. But she still wouldn't talk about it, and I wasn't going to be the one to push her.

"Serena, take the list," Brent said.

I looked up at him. He was sitting at the desk in front of me holding a list - which I was assuming was the reading list - to my face. "Oh, sorry," I said taking the lists from him, keeping one for myself and turning around to pass the rest down. Behind me, I saw Ethan fast asleep.

I chuckled and poked him with the papers. "Ethan, wake up. Meena is here," I joked.

He jolted awake. "Where?" He slurred, looking around then at me expectantly.

I shoved the papers in his face while giggling. "You're so gullible, Ethan."

He gave me a hard look for five seconds before finally taking the list and passing one behind him. When he turned back, it looked like he was going to fall asleep again, but I wouldn't have any.

I snapped my fingers - something that took me years to perfect - in front of his face. "I'm sorry Ethan, I shouldn't joke about it."

He looked at me again and shrugged. "Whatever, it's been a month. I should get used to the fact that Meena won't be coming back."

I frowned at that. Meena was Ethan's eight year old dog, which he had since he was nine. Meena and Ethan were like soul mates and practically made for each other. They looked alike - shaggy black hair, covering the top of their big blue eyes - and ate alike. The fact that Meena could have willingly ran away was tearing Ethan from the inside out.

"I'm sure she's just waiting for something to happen. Ethan, she loves you. She would never run away from her home," I said trying to comfort him, when in reality I knew otherwise. If Meena ever got lost, she knew how to get home. It was like the route was burned in the back of her brain.

He shrugged again, rested his head on the table, and this time I let him. I looked back to the front of the class. Mr. Carter was still speaking a mile a minute while gesturing excessively with his hands.

The actuality that there was six minutes left - I saw as I glanced to the clock - in my tenth grade was so uplifting.

I was turning seventeen in a few weeks, so I would celebrate that at my father's cottage. The last birthday I celebrated with my father was when I turned fourteen. I remember it like it was yesterday, which it certainly wasn't. But the fact that my father was there, made it all the more sweeter. I woke up to find myself starving and went to the kitchen for food. I was shocked when my father, mother and older sister, Autumn, popped out behind the furniture.