Chapter 23

Florence's POV

I woke up the next morning to someone poking my arm and face. "Florence, wake up! It's breakfast and you said you would teach me how to be a greaser." I groaned and rolled over.

"I'm up, I'm up." I stood up and Sophia grabbed my hand and dragged me downstairs to the rest of the girls sat at the table. They were all just sat there talking to each other very queitly and then stopped when I walked through the door.

"Good morning, Florence. Have a seat." Mary turned to the rest of the girls. "Since today is saturday you all may do what you wish. After breakfast I want you to all go upstairs and get ready for whatever you are doing today." All the girls nodded. I sat down next to Sophia and Jessica. Once I we sat down everyone started eating. We had bacon and eggs. Once I finished I sat there and waited for Sophia to finish who was the last person eating. Once she was done she grabbed my hand again and we took our plates into the kitchen and ran upstairs. "What shall I wear? Shall I show you all of my dresses?"

"No, Sophia. Just listen to me. Every greaser needs a nickname so yours shall be Soph." She smiled and nodded. "Now lets get started." I grabbed all my clothes from my duffel bag and pured them on the floor. She gasped again. "You're not a greaser unless you're willing to get dirty." She just nodded. I picked out both of our outfits for the day. I passed her her clothes and then I got dressed in mine. I was wearing black high waisted shorts that were ripped. I put on a white crop top and Johnny's denim jacket. It still smelled like him. I put on my white converse and tucked the excess laces into the shoe. I turned to look at Soph who was wearing black skinny jeans with the ends turned up and she was wearing an old pair of my tennis shoes that had holes in them. She was wearing a black crop top and my leather jacket. She just smiled at me. 

"I love this outfit. Now what am I doing with my hair?"

"Come here." She walked over to me sat down in front of me. I started to back-comb her hair and I could tell she was getting nervous. "Relax, I'm not cutting your hair."

"Okay. I'm just a little scared of what Mary is going to say."

"When you're a greaser you don't care wether you get in trouble or not. You just go with the flow. If you do get in trouble I'll take the blame."

"You would do that for me?"

"It's not the first time. I once got in trouble with the cops for carrying around a switch."

"Whats a switch?" I laughed.

"A blade."

"What's a blade?" I laughed again.

"A knife." She gasped and her jaw dropped. "All greasers carry one."

"O-oh." I laughed and finished of her hair. I gave her a poof and a ponytail. I tied my red bandana in her hair and then moved to face her. 

"You're green eyees are really pretty, so thats what we are going to make stand out the most."

"Make-up?"

"Yeah." I was confused.

"Mary doesn't let us wear make-up."

"Well, that's her problem. Not mine. Now shut up and let me turn you into a greaser." She nodded. I gave her dark eye make-up that made her eyes pop and then gave her matte cherry red lipstick. I didn't let her look in the mirror until I was done. I gave my self a poof and let my curly brown hair flow down my back and then I tied in a pink bandan. I did my usual makeup but I did blood red lipstick. When I was finished with my makeup I popped in some gum and handed some to Soph who at first hesitated but then put it in. "I don't want you smoking so gum is your best bet at the moment." She nodded. I grabbed my board and walked to the door. "Want to come out with me and meet my family?" She smiled and nodded. "Come on then. Lets go." I walked down first because she was too scared. I walked in and everyone was sat on the couch reading a book or playing a board game. Mary looked at me and dropped her glass.

"What are you wearing, Florence? That is not how we dress in this house." She said it very calmly. Soon all the girls were looking at me with there jaws wide open.

"Well this what I wear wether you like it or not. Now Soph and I" I pulled Soph into the room."are going out. I don't know when we'll be back so don't wait up." All the girls were either smiling or laughing. Mary however wasn't impressed.

"I will not be spoken to like that."

"Too bad. Get use to it." We walked out of the room and walked towards the door. 

"And you will be back by 7 at the latest!"

"No we won't! Bye!" We walked out of the door and I tried to hold in the laughter. Soph, on the other hand, was trying to hold in the tears. "Relax, would ya?"

"I'm sorry." 

"Don't worry about it."

"Where are we going?" 

"To see my friends. Do you have any cash on ya?"

"Um, yeah. Why?"

"Do you have enough for a payphone?"

"Yeah."

"Give it here." She handed me the money and I skated to the nearest payphone with Soph running beside me. On our way there we got a bunch of wolf-whistles off of boys and Soph seemed to be enjoying it. I put the money in and dialed the Curtis' house number. It rung three times before someone picked up. "Hello?" The voice was cold and icy.

"Darry?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"It's Florence."

"Oh hi. They guys are worried sick about ya. Johnny didn't sleep all night."

"Can you do me a favour and come and get me? I want to suprise the guys." He laughed and I heard a faint 'who is it' from Sodapop.

"I'm on my way. The guys no nothing."

"Good, thank you Dar-bear."

"Bye."

"Bye. Thank you again." He hung up.

"Who did you call?"

"One of my friends. He's on his way to pick us up and take us to see the guys."

"Oh. Is he nice?"

"I guess you could say that."

We were about 5 minutes away from the Curtis' and Soph was so nervouse. "It's gonna be fine. They don't bite." She smiled and nodded at me. "Just act like you have always been a grease. Be like me." I out my arm around her shoulder."

"Thanks, Florence."

"Call me, Flo." She smiled and nodded. Darry pulled into the drive way and got out. He walked round and opened the door for Soph and I.

"Ready to surprise the boys?" We both nodded like crazy.