Chapter 4: Arrival

Chapter 4: Arrival

February 11, 1783

Connor's POV

In the week since Mirela's arrival, we had been doing our best to get ready. Father, Shay and I agreed that focusing more on the recruit's training rather than academics would be wise; their studies could be returned to after the Templar problem was solved. While we spent extra time training them, Norah helped Mirela adjust to the new surroundings and introduced her to the Homesteaders. When she wasn't with Norah, she was helping with the recruits; I felt it may be useful for them to understand a little of fighting the way she does. She agreed that training them to listen and not rely on their vision was indeed a practical idea.

In this time, I had also contacted the Assassins in Boston and New York, requesting they keep an eye out for suspicious arrivals from England. It was a unanimous decision that we inform all of them in both cities as Mirela didn't know where exactly the Templars would arrive; having them all prepared is necessary regardless. I even went as far as sending word to Aveline in New Orleans; she need not get involved, but I felt it necessary to at least inform her.

I was currently standing beside the clearing where Mirela was teaching the recruits. Their current mission; block Mirela's attacks. Considering they were blindfolded, they weren't doing too well, and Mirela wasn't holding back. She currently looked like a fiery goddess, her red curls framing her face like flaming ringlets of fire. No matter what the three recruits tried, she was too fast and too silent for them to counter her; they ended up with more bruises than anything else. After a few more minutes of this, I hear her call out for a swap; this usually meant it was time for them to try and sneak up on her. They were good, I would give them that, Freya more so as stealth was her specialty, but Mirela continues to prove that her hearing was contested by no one.

As I watch, I feel that this would turn out as it always did, but then she got that look on her face; she had this look every now and then, usually when she was not doing anything else. It always looked like a worried look, like something was bothering her, but it had never happened during training. This meant that Freya was able to get in a shot; this surprised all the recruits as they had never even got in lucky shots before. Their surprise turned into worry, just as mine did as I walked towards them.

The hit was only a light kick to her side, but she was distracted enough that she landed solidly on her backside. I hastened to help her off the floor and I could tell she was embarrassed for being so distracted. "Are you alright?"

She turned to face me, her blank stare was unnerving, but I knew she was simply facing where she could hear my voice. "Uh, yes, thank you Connor, I'm alright, I was just a little...distracted is all."

I already knew this, but I didn't want to point it out and embarrass her more. "Come, I think it's time for a break, I'm sure Norah will be happy to make us all some tea while we rest," I turn to face the kids. "Why don't you three go ahead and tell Norah, we'll be right behind you."

They were still too dazed to argue and went ahead without hesitation. I turn back to face Mirela again, and although she wouldn't be able to meet my eyes, she is looking away from me. "Mirela, let's go."

She finally turns to face me and does something unexpected; she hooks her arm through mine. She usually preferred walking around on her own, to show she could be independent, so she only walked arm-in-arm with someone if they offered first. Whatever was bothering her must be pretty bad for her to be acting like this. I start to lead her toward the manor before speaking again, "Are you going to tell me what that was about? Don't think I didn't see what happened, haven't been seeing what has been going on all week."