Chapter 2: Unexpected Allies

February 1, 1783

As the new year started, my boredom knew no limits; a blind woman on a ship has so little to do. I only take solace in the fact that we should be arriving in Boston soon. I grow eager to finally reach the Colonial Brotherhood, as it was; the English Brotherhood was always pressed for both numbers and support. The Templars are slowly taking London and I imagine that soon, they will have it. So I cannot allow them to simply waltz right into the Colonies and take that too. When I spoke to Captain O'Shea earlier this morning, he said he was hopeful that we would arrive today, and thankfully, he is right. "I see land Captain!"

Despite how far away the man in the crow's nest was from me, I could hear his words just fine; I was finally in the Colonies. I stand near the mast pole, hoping not to get in the way of the sailors preparing to dock. It is not long before I feel the ship stop, "Miss Favell, would you like me to escort you anywhere? To a carriage house perhaps?"

I turn to face where I hear the Captain's voice coming from, "I would be very grateful if you escorted me there; I have never been to this city and therefore, I cannot hope to find my way around."

"Very well my dear, come along," and with that, I grab hold of his arm and let him escort me onto land.

The noises coming from the busy streets astound me, although the streets are not as crowded as the ones in London; the sounds are still rather abundant, but not enough to completely overwhelm my ears. "Oh how I wish I could see all of this."

"It is a beautiful sight indeed, but if what you say is true, and your friend lives outside the city, then I assure you, the sounds of nature are far greater than the views of the city. I am sure you will enjoy yourself out there."

This brings a smile to my face as I think of this; the sounds of nature were what I loved the most. We continue the rest of the walk in silence, the Captain realising I wanted to soak in the sounds and smells of this unfamiliar city. "Ah, here we are my dear. Excuse me good sir, this young lady is hoping to get passage to a location outside the city," he turns to me before continuing. "I must head back to my ship now my dear, I wish you safe travel and perhaps we may see each other again."

"I can never thank you enough Captain, you have done me a great service bringing me all the way here," something he did not have to do but did out of the kindness of his own heart.

"Think nothing of it Miss Favell, now farewell until next time," and with a kiss to his cheek, I wave him off.

"Where is it you wish to travel to miss?" I turn back to face the man who would hopefully take me to the Homestead.

"Ah yes, I was wondering if you travelled to the Davenport Homestead."

I hear him shift nervously before answering, "I am afraid not miss, the only carriages that can come in and out of that place belong to the people there. They have seen many troubles throughout the years and hence, are cautious of unknown carriages that come through. I apologise miss, but I am afraid you are going to have to find another way."

My heart plummeted to the ground; I had no way of knowing where to go, let alone be able to see where I am going. I am just about to respond when a question sounds behind me, the tone is suspicious, "Might I ask what it is you plan on doing at the Homestead?"

I turn to face the voice and instinct guides me to activate my Eagle Vision and rather than red or even grey, the man glows blue; an ally then. Hoping they are what I think they are, I say something I hope they understand, "To visit a brother whom I must visit as soon as possible."

"I see, is it an urgent matter?" Ah, he understands.

"It is indeed, I have news this brother needs to hear," our conversation would mean nothing to anyone listening in, but we understood each other just fine.