CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

As soon as Obsidian and I flew through the exit everything behind us exploded, causing us to become enveloped in thick grey smoke. I leant down low over the dragon's neck and pulled my sleeve over my mouth as I struggled to breathe through the thick ash.

It was only when I began to see things flying upwards past me that I realised we were falling.  I immediately began to panic and cling onto Obsidian with all my strength as our falling started to quicken. I tried desperately to communicate with him telepathically, but he continued to fall despite my efforts.

"Obsidian!" I screamed over the rumbling in an attempt to gain his attention.

He let out a loud fearful shriek as a boulder hit his wing, sending him into a spiral. Even over the destruction, I could hear my heart pounding in my chest as I opened my wings and tried to slow his fall, but who was I kidding I couldn't hold a dragon.

"Come on... VOLAR!" I screamed in almost a roaring command.

On an instant impulse, he opened his wings, making guilt flood over me as he shrieked in agony the whole time.

Although he couldn't seem to fly, his spread wings acted as a parachute, causing his falling to slow down an incredible amount so I extended my own wings, allowing the air to pull me from his back. I followed him to the floor and watched as he landed with a small thud.

He immediately began whining, moving in small circles with his head held high as he tested his right wing, hissing every time he moved it.

"It's ok" I cooed, pulling my shirt up over my mouth to protect my airways from the thick dust that surrounded us.

I ran over to his side and asked him to lay down. He reluctantly did as I asked and watched suspiciously as I ran my hand gently over his injured wing.

"You're going to be ok" I concluded, after trying my best to heal it.

Although it wasn't healed completely the pain in his eyes seemed to have lessened, but I knew in my heart that if I couldn't find someone to heal him, he would not be able to fly for a long time.

"Your fight is over," I said, running my hand over his large face.

He shook his large head and stood up tall, trying to prove that he could still fight. I let out a small laugh and held up my hand.

"No, you can't come with me," I sighed, causing him to slacken his formerly impressive poster into a grumpy slouch.

"but if any demons come down here, be sure to get them for me" I smiled, making his eyes light up slightly.

I took one last look at Obsidian before turning my attention to the gloomy sky.

"I guess I'll have to find a way to this without you" I sighed, extending my wings to take off.

Without looking back down at the dragons sorrowful expression,  I shot up to the sky and closed my eyes, hoping that I wouldn't fly directly into a falling boulder or demon.

As soon as I felt the cold air hit my face I opened my eyes to see that I had flown above the settling dust.

"Aurora?" questioned the recognisable voice of Max from behind me.

I turned around slowly and held in a gasp as I looked over the army before me.

"Wow, You really did all come," I said in disbelief as I flew closer.

"Of course we did" responded Verity who was sitting in front of Max.

I searched the crowd, smiling upon seeing various familiar faces, even Axel had come to join the fight.