Chp. 86

Chapter 86: A Very Technical Question

Gu Zhun lowered his head. He was unsure of how he should respond, or what expression he should be wearing right now. After all, his silence back then was proof enough that he did not know the answer to Zhang Heng's questions. Yet, after all these years, twenty-two-year-old Zhang Heng still wore the same starry-eyed look of expectation as he waited for his response, transporting Gu Zhun back in time to their second year in junior high...

Back then, as Gu Zhun continued to remain silent, Zhang Heng began voicing out his conjectures aloud.

"Hey! Do you think..."

"What are you trying to say?" Gu Zhun's ears rang from Zhang Heng's deafening, cracking voice.

"Well, um..." Zhang Heng took a surreptitious look around to make sure they were alone before continuing carefully with a lowered voice. "Well... we're both guys and we have balls, right? So... do female parts get a completely different name because girls don't have balls?"

Gu Zhun was speechless then, and he was just as speechless now, since he was still absolutely clueless about girls. Back then, he had been obsessed with his studies and had no time for useless things like romance and sex. Now that he already had Zhang Heng, it did not matter anymore whether he knew anything about girls. Zhang Heng's anatomy was all he needed to know.

"..."

He remembered how he replied seven years ago that Zhang Heng could "find out for himself through first-hand experience." Although Zhang Heng had seemed unaffected by his cold response back then, Gu Zhun now knew that Zhang Heng had been deeply hurt, refusing to talk to Gu Zhun for an entire week after that.

For fourteen-year-old Gu Zhun, the world felt like a much better place without the incessant harassment from the ignorant and unmotivated Zhang Heng. While he was enjoying his newfound freedom, Zhang Heng was sulking and waiting for Gu Zhun to make the first move to mend their relationship. After all, Gu Zhun was the one at fault for wanting to give him away to other women!

In the end, however, Zhang Heng was the one who ended this brief standoff between them. That Friday, he broke his silence at the usual time and asked, "Gu Zhun, would you like to go home together?"

"Mm."

Just like that, they were back on speaking terms again. If Zhang Heng had not taken the matter into his own hands, it was highly possible that the standoff might have dragged on indefinitely.

However, the questions remained unanswered. Although Zhang Heng had grown more knowledgeable over the years and was well aware of the answers to his own questions, he could not resist the idea of teasing Gu Zhun, whose sexual knowledge had always been rather lacking.

"Well, do you know the answers now? You never answered my questions back then, you know..."

After a slight pause, Gu Zhun began to explain, "In response to your questions about why the names of male and female sexual organs are so dissimilar... the answer can be found in Chapter 3 of Introduction to Modern Chinese. The chapter focuses on phrase-construction and has a section dedicated to the explanation of antonymy. The names for male and female sexual organs are not antithetical in meaning; they stand for two different lexical meanings that are entirely independent of each other. Hence, they cannot be considered as antonyms, thus explaining why their names are not more structurally similar to each other. Furthermore..."

Zhang Heng hurriedly held up a hand to fend off any further explanation from Gu Zhun. "I think you are missing the point," he said gingerly, his face contorted in confusion.