"I asked my question first."

"I was sore and wanted to stretch my legs." Lisa said walking back to bed. "Your turn, what's with the smirk?"

"I have good news and bad news for you. What do you want first?"

"I'm not in a mood to play games, Unnie." Lisa warned.

"Okay, it's your funeral." Rose shrugged not the least bit intimated by her grumpiness.

"Fine. Give me the good news first then." Lisa rested her head on the pillow. "I could use some good news."

"I spoke to your doctor. He said he's going to discharge you by... "

"The end of the week," Lisa finished it for her sister. "Christ, Rose, if that's the good news, you better try again."

Rose's good natured smile melted and was quickly replaced by a look of confusion when she met Lisa's deadly stare. Suddenly her outlook turned slightly paranoid. "What? Aren't you glad?"

"I'm bored but then again, what choice do I have? I'm stuck in here for at least two more days." Lisa closed her eyes in an attempt to ward off the nagging headache that grew stronger every time she thought about her restrictive circumstance.

"Then maybe I shouldn't give you the bad news." Rose pursed her lips and tapped her nose with a finger pretending to be pondering something.

"Rose," Lisa cautioned. "It's not nice to tease, especially when I'm not in the mood for it. You, of all people, should know that."

"Okay, Lisa..." Rose moved behind the armchair in preparation for sister's forthcoming explosion. "Try to remember that you're injured and have to stay calm, really, really calm."

Lisa's eyes popped open as she propped herself up on her elbows. "Spill it," she hissed back at Rose narrowing her gaze in her sister direction.

"It's mother..." Rose watched as the whites around her sister's eyes grew as big as saucers. "She's at your apartment collecting a few things that you'll need during your recovering time..." Rose paused long enough to see the terror register on Lisa's face, "In Jersey."

"What?" Lisa reclined back felling lightheaded. "You have got to be kidding me"

"Nope," Rose sat down and crossed her legs nonchalantly. "She told me that your surgeon suggested you'd go to a quiet place for a complete recovery. I'm no detective but even I can fill in those blanks."

"Shit, shit, shit! There's no way out of this one, is there?"

"Afraid not, Liz," Rose sneered, pursing her lips into the fakest pout of the century. "Sorry!"

"Great! Just fucking great."

"See Liz, I told you needed a girlfriend." Rose's mocking reply was met with her sister's penetrating glare. "Ahem, I'm going to grab a soda." Rose got up from her chair and made a hasty exit.

...

The sound of a large blast brought the sheen of instant perspiration to Jin's forehead. The lieutenant stood frozen at the ER entrance. After hearing the second bang his hand swiftly sought out his holstered weapon. Jin turned and scanned the street anxiously looking for an assailant of any kind. Relief washed over him as he saw nothing but an old jalopy with a cloud of black smoke coming out of its exhaust pipe.

"Jesus Christ," Jin took several short breaths to calm his racing heart. "It's just a damn backfire."

Jin rubbed his hands on his blue jeans in an attempt to dry his sweating palms.