Chapter 2

Strong and focused since the day she entered medical school, Jennie Kim soon became one of the best emergency physicians in New York City. Her good interpersonal skills and abilities for leadership granted her the position as chief of ER at County General Hospital. The doctor always had a special talent for diplomacy; she knew very well how to talk her way out of stressful situations.

"Taeyoung, what's with the attitude? I know, we have a lot to work on, but you don't see my brown hair turning gray, do you? Besides, I got us six months to turn this place around. It's an improvement!" Jennie kept one eye on the status of the elevator as she delicately steered the conversation with her colleague.

"I know..." Dr. Dong shook his head in exasperation, "but what's gonna be different in six months?"

"Things change, Tae. Who knows, maybe six months from now you're the new Chief of Staff," Jennie trailed off as she headed toward the opening elevator doors.

The expression on Taeyoung's face became one of puzzlement and he hurriedly followed her to the open elevator. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Jennie smiled graciously. "Let's just say that your friend, Mr. Wilson and I, we tend not to see eye to eye."

Taeyoung smirked, extending a hand to keep the door from closing. "Does anybody heading up a busy emergency department get along with the hospital manager?" He opened his mouth to speak further on the subject but his pager did it for him. "Damn! I've got to go but we'll finish this up later," he said leaving the elevator to go.

Jennie shook her head and moved back toward the front desk. She examined the board, then picked up a few charts to review.

"Resident evaluations" the words floated on the air. "When are they due?"

Jennie looked around for the source of the question. Seeing no one within her five feet, she cautiously replied as she circled the desk. "Next Monday."

A large mound of shifting papers drew her eye as the mystery of the disembodied voice was solved.

One of her attending doctors came into view, huddled behind the desk, diligently engaged in paperwork. "Dr. Lee, are you hiding from someone?"

"God, I forgot how much paperwork this is," he mumbled. "I've got really sick patients on my service and every time I turn around there's a resident staring me up in my face."

"We've been there and done that, my dear Seungri. That's how we learned." Jennie cocked her head to a side and smiled sarcastically. "And now, we are on the other side of the desk. That's the price we pay for being real doctors."

"When you put it that way, it sounds so logical" Seungri grimaced. "But I still don't have to like it."

"No one said we did." Jennie put the chart back in place. "It just comes with the territory, like being woken out of a sound sleep at 2am."

"Help, please somebody help!"

Jennie looked up to see a young man carrying a passed out teenager boy over his shoulder. "Speak of the devil," she muttered.

"I need some help, my brother's been stabbed. Please help me." Expressive eyes bore his pain, "Please."

True to her nature, Jennie reacted by grabbing a gurney and pushing it closer to the blood soaked duo.

"Here, put him on this stretcher."

"Please do something." He begged as he followed her command.

Jennie was touched by the sight of this bulky man crying like a baby pleading over his brother's life.

"It is okay, Mr....?"