Seven

Greene

I opened the door for her and she lead the way into the Starbuck's.

"So you like coffee?" I asked as I took off my suit jacket.

Nicole shook her head. "Not really, no."

I froze, and began sliding my jacket on my back. "Oh..."

When she saw that I was ready to leave, she motioned me to sit on down. "No, no, Edward, we can sit and eat here. It's no problem,"

"No, come on, I'll take you somewhere you'd like, come on."

She rose from her seat. "Okay,"

"Here, let me just order my special and we can head on out, okay?"

"Okay, no problem."

"Where do you usually eat on your lunch break?" I smiled as we walked down the streets.

She let out a sweet and slight giggle. "I like eating Burger King usually," she said, as if it were a joke. My flashing smile lit up my eyes. Burger King was awesome. "Burger King it is."

When entered in, the rush hour lunch line was terribly long. I'd hate for her to stand here in line for a lengthy time. We only had fourty-five minutes to kill.

"Anya?" She said as soon as we came through the doors. "Girl!"

I looked over my shoulder, and Nicole had went over to a nearby table to give Anya a hug. I smiled, and waved at her. She flashed me a grin and gave me a giggle of her fingers. I found a spot in the back of the line.

The two women talked to each other, words spoken that I couldn't really make out. After five minutes, Anya headed towards the exit. Nicole took her spot standing next to me.

"I'll see you in da office, Mr. Greene." Anya said on her way out. "Oh," she said, leaning into me. "Get her the whopper. It's her favorite."

I nodded, grinning at the same time. "I'll remember that, Miss Fenty. Thanks."

She patted my arm, and went through the doors. Like all the other days, she looked stoned.

I turned to Nicole, who stood an inch under me, and said, "if you want to sit down, I'll stand here for us."

"That sounds wonderful." She agreed. "'Cause my feet are killin' me." She turned and took a seat at a nearby table. Unable to wash this grin off my face, I watched her rub her palms down her leg, and onto her aching feet. She slid off one heel, then the other, not seeming to care who noticed. I admired her perfectly pedicured toes. A glittery pink. Interesting. I moved up in line a few feet.

Sitting her heels aside, she crossed her bare feet, and scanned out the open window. Maybe at the cars passing by? The bystanders in commute to their lunch? Or was she simply day dreaming in her thoughts? She squinted, and flicked a curl out her face. I cracked a side smile.

"Sir? Excuse me, sir?"

I dropped it and glanced over at the disappeared line ahead of me. The Buger King worker gestured me to come and take my order. I snatched my hands out of my pockets and took a large step forward. "Sorry, hello. Can I get two Whoppers?"

"Drink?"

I took a wild guess and said Sprite. I swiped my card and collected my receipt. "Thanks,"

"Next in line!"

I made my way back, and took my seat. She looked a bit startled. "Oh? You took the orders already?"

"Yeah. Two whoppers?"