Six

Please check out my newest book, The Plug

The next morning I called into work sick. After dropping Layla off, I went to Jerome's to have a talk about this shit. I was filled with so much embarassement and anger, I really didn't know what to do with myself at this point. Him and his niggahs were chilling up at his crib as always.

"Let me get this straight." Jerome spoke up after I told them what went down last night. "You said Spike and your boss came walkin' in the Golden Strip? During your solo night?"

"No," I spat. "Spike's 'ol rinky dink tail brought our boss to my nightly profession, damn well knowing I was working that night on my own!"

Jerome smirked.  "Spike ain't know you were working there-"

"Damn hell the niggah did!" I interrupted. "You remember the day I told all y'all that I worked at the Golden Strip. There's only one Golden Strip in Georgia. Am I right?" Q, Big Nick, and Richie nodded in agreement to my words.

"Baby girl, Cherry, you ain't lemme finish," Jerome said to me, tapping my leg. "That's ya thing, Nicole, you gotta stop and listen." I rolled my eyes and crossed my legs. He leaned back in his couch and reached for the blunt that was being passed to him. "Spike ain't know that you worked there still. He been gettin' the impression that you quite your job at the strip joint," he paused and took a hit. Before he could get the rest of his words out, I interjected. "The fuck? What gave him the impression of that?"

Just that second, there came a knock at the door. I was biting at my lip when Jerome got up to open it. I watched him walk across the room, look through the peephole, and before he opened it he smirked. Spike dapped him up and he walked on in, and seemed just as surprised to see me sitting on the couch.

"Oh Lawd..." I reached for the burning blunt in the ashtray. Shit,  I was gonna need this.

"What's up Nick man," Spike shook Nick's hand, then said what's up to Richie and Q, offering them handshakes as well. He looked over at me sitting there, looking at him sideways. "Hey,"

"Hello." I took one hit and rose to my feet. "I'll talk to you later, Rome. Text my phone." And with that, I started to the door.

"Cherry, wait," he took my arm. "Let's talk. Forreal."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "You got ten minutes."

"Cool. C'mon. Walk with me." He gestured me to the door. Following behind him, Spike told Jerome that he'll be back up in a few.

"Okay. I'll text your phone, Cherry!" Jerome hollered out when we were on the other side of the door.

"Cherry, look, I'm sorry about what happened last night."

"I bet'chu is." I folded up my arms and kicked a few rocks while walking along side him.

"But look, I'm not to fully blame here."

"And why is that, Spike?"

"I thought since you had good income at NAOF, that you ain't need that stripping job anymore."

"Okay well," I found myself hesitating just a little bit. "It's not that easy."

"Why?"

"Because it just ain't, Spike. It took me hard work to get respect and recognition in that place. Stripping there allowed me to meet people. Known people." I said to him.

"Okay. I guess you're right." Spike said. After that he was quiet for a few seconds, and looked over my features.  He smiled at me, and plucked a strand of hair from my face, just smiling. "You're to pretty of a woman to still be working that job and having this one in the day."