Chapter 1: How It Begins

Start from the beginning

Savannah shook the thoughts of that memory from her mind. She didn't want to reminisce about that. It only brought her pain and unwanted memories.

Looking up from her documments, Savannah carefully observed Amelia's face. The woman had returned from the boss' office. She wasn't crying. But, Savannah could see the disappointment clear on her face.

Savannah didn't know what she should do as Amelia was getting closer. She had one of her hands covering her face. Obviously, the boss didn't like any woman his sister had sent him.

Savannah was contemplating what to say as suddenly without looking at her, Amelia had dashed out of the door. Savannah just sighed, she didn't know why Amelia would be so disappointed though.

The boss maybe was a jerk. And if that was true, during her one month of working here, she wanted to stay as far away from him as possible. Savannah didn't need another trouble as she came here to look for new scenery and freshen her mind.

She checked her watch. Two hours until her shift ended. When she first accepted to work here, Savannah actually wasn't planning it. But, her grandma kinda forced her into it. Their neighbour who was working as the current receptionist needed her to fill for the temporary position.

Savannah eyes narrowed at something, or rather someone who was behaving weirdly. He has some documents covering his face as if he was hiding from something.

Suddenly, the documents covering his face lifted a bit. Savannah could finally saw some features of his face. His brown eyes were peeking at Savannah through the documents.

Savannah squinted her eyes further, grinning widely when she noticed who he was. The man was trying to hide from her all this time she worked here. No wonder this certain messy jet black haired man always acted weird around Savannah.

To tease him, Savannah gave him creepy smile as he peeked back at her. His eyes widened for a moment, afraid of getting caught.

Savannah waved at him a little, desperately trying to hide her smirk. "Hi! I haven't see you around here."

Savannah got up from her seat and made her way around him. The man pretended he didn't hear her. He made a voice that sounded like a small whistle, his eyes looking around the ceiling.

He jumped when Savannah smacked his arm. She whispered in his ear evilly, "Are you trying to hide from me, Brandon?"

Brandon turned toward her, lowering his documents. His eyes widened, pretending to be surprised. "Oh hey, Sav. Didn't see you there."

He was scratching the back of his head nervously. Nah, he obviously was lying.

"Yeah, of course. I am invisible," Savannah said sarcastically, shooting him a look.

"I didn't mean like that," he tried to explain.

"Then, what do you mean by that? Why are you ignoring me?" She shot him a glare, putting her hands on her hips. Then, her eyes widened at the possibility of him hurting Janet, that was why he was ignoring her.

"What did you do to Janet?" She acussed, pointing finger to his chest. Savannah, Janet, and Brandon were pretty close as they often hanging out together. Well, until Savannah had to move away. She hadn't contacted any of them since two weeks ago. Janet was away studying at university, and well, Brandon never told her where he worked.

"What?" He was certainly baffled at her acussation, looking at her as if she was nuts.

"I didn't do anything to her, of course. I would've cut my own hands before I can even hurt her." He tried to explain it as best as he could. Brandon knew Savannah could be violent sometimes, and he didn't want to risk his poor soul at her hand.

"You are not lying, right?" She wasn't convinced. She glared at him again.

Brandon rolled his eyes. "You can ask Janet herself if you don't believe me."

Savannah inspected his face to find any indication that he was lying. She had known him for a long time to be able to tell if he was lying. She found none.

"Then, explain why are you pretending of not knowing me," she demanded.

He scratched the back of his head, looking a bit nervous. Before he could stop it, he had blurted out. "Cats."

"What?" Savannah stared at him in disbelief. "Cats?"

"Yes ... cats," he said carefully, studying her face. "I don't want to meet your cats again."

When Savannah gave him an evil smirk, Brandon knew he was doomed.

"By the way, Carrick missed you. I brought him along with me," she said sweetly, taunting him by mentioning the name one of her cats. "And you should drop by my home after the work ends. We need a lot to catch up."

Brandon just nodded meekly. He knew there was no point in denying what Savannah wanted. Her glare said it all. If he refused, she would drag him anyway. Hell, if needed she would kidnap him by force.

Brandon should just prepare for the explanation. He was sure Savannah had a lot of questions. Or, he just needed to look for an escape from her clutch ...