Chapter 1: How It Begins

Not edited! Nah, if probably you are wondering why it was written as chapter 1, I had decided to make the first three chapter as prologue. This is five years later!

Savannah was pulled out of her train of thoughts when a model-like woman entered the room. She began to talk to her. Savannah noticed that this time, the woman looked younger than the one who had came here around a week ago.

The woman was undeniably gorgeous, there was no doubt to that. She was wearing a long blue dress with long sleeves and some sparkly beads decorated it. The dress matched with her pale white skin and brunette hair.

As the temporary receptionist replacing the current one who was taking a break due to pregnancy, Savannah already felt sorry for her boss. Although she had never met him, Savannah heard from the gossip that the boss' sister always sent one woman a week so that he could marry as soon as he found a suitable woman.

Not that Savannah liked gossiping around with those judgemental people, but she also heard some words being whispered among them that the boss was gay. Savannah refused to believe that until she know the real truth.

"May I help you, Miss?" Savannah asked her with a smile. Her face was sore from smiling too much all day. She just hoped this woman wouldn't be a bitch like the other one.

"Yes." Savannah mentally sighed in relief when the woman returned her smile. The woman whose name was Amelia began asking if the boss was in his office.

Savannah went to check his schedule. The woman's face brightened as Savannah gave her the news that the boss was available. And before Savannah could stop it, the woman had rushed to the elevator eagerly.

Savannah stared at the woman with exasperate look. Mentally prayed that letting her into the boss' office wouldn't be a mistake since the woman from a week ago was kicked out five minutes since she entered his office.

But that woman was a bitch though. She entered the room like she owned the place, then demanding Savannah to tell about her boss' whereabouts. She was tapping the floor as Savannah checked her boss' schedule, impatiently. After calling Savannah an incompetent employee, she strutted toward his office with her arrogant and condescending look.

Funny enough, after a few minutes the entire people in the room turned their heads to see the woman was crying like a child. Her make up was ruined. Somehow, she still managed to glare at every person staring in her direction, including Savannah who was watching the whole scene with scrunched face while shaking her head lightly.

But, this time the woman seemed nice, so she hoped that the boss' would not make her cry.

Running her hands through the unkempt part of her shirt, Savannah's mind was back to her grandma whose condition began to worry her. It wasn't because of any ilness though, just simply caused by a little stress and old age.

Talking about the stress made Savannah remembered the five year ago incident, which brought humiliation to both family sides. Ashton Rashford just simply ditched her like that, not bothering to consider the consequences of his doing.

The incident indeed brought stress to Savannah, even until now. At that time when Ashton's mother announced his disappearance and that there will be no marriage, Savannah's heart almost leaped out of her chest. She couldn't brought herself to feel the relief of not being forced to marry. Instead, she was worrying about her grandfather and how he would take the news.

That marriage was so important. Not only it would strenghten the ties between two family, but for her grandfather, it also meant that he could finally gone with no worry as her granddaughter would be in the safe hands.