3. The Day

Savannah knew she may seemed like weak girl right now if someone saw her crying. Going to give her life to stranger she never once met was a big deal to her. But, there was no choice here. She had to.

A few gentle knocking to her door pulled her out of the reverie. Hastily wiping the tears from her cheeks, she quickly splashed her face with water and opened the door.

"Oh, sweetheart." Her mother immediately pulled her into a hug, while her hand caressing her daughter's hair. She was muttering soothing words to Savannah's ears. "It's going to be alright."

It was no use wiping the tears though. She was crying again in her mother's warm embrace. "Yeah, I am alright, Mom."

Of course her mother didn't believe her. Even anyone could tell that it was a lie. She wasn't alright with this marriage in the first place. But, what she could do? She loved her grandfather more than herself. She knew he just wanted to see her happy.

"Now, can you go downstairs with me?" Her mother gazed at Savannah tenderly.

Savannah just nodded. Until this day, she never knew why the man she was going to marry didn't want to meet her though. He had never shown up at any of their family gathering. She just knew him through some of the pictures her soon-to-be mother in law had shown her.

Or maybe he just plain hated her. Wow, that just another problem added to her twisted life.

Her mother had stood up, whereas Savannah still trying to compose herself. She was pretty sure her face looked anything but decent right now. Puffy red eyes combined with exhausted face.

"Are you coming now, Sweetheart?" Her mother asked, a bit concerned.

"Just give me a minute, Mom." She said while wiping her tears. She still need a bit of make up conceal her exhausted face.

"Okay." And her mother closed the door, before giving her daughter one last look of worry.

After finished applying the make up, she smiled ruefully at her own reflection. Didn't want to be drown any further in her own misery, Savannah decided it was the time she should go down.

She had been crying all night. She knew that those make up artists will do juat fine with her face at the wedding day, which was today. Savannah just didn't want to create more problems into the family. Only her mother knew she didn't want this.

Cousins, uncles and aunts. Even her own father were oblivious to her real feeling. Everytime she passed someone on her way down, Savannah would put on fake smile, which was easy. Plus, the make up helped.

Savannah didn't know if they were conscious how she felt, but she always tried her best to look excited and happy.

"Sav!" A cousin from her mother's side, Janet threw her arms around Savannah excitedly. She was in last year of high school. "I couldn't believe you are going to marry already. I heard the man is gorgeous though."

Someone cleared his throat. Brandon, Janet's boyfriend was standing there with unpleasant look.

"Yeah, so georgeous that you forget you have a boyfriend here," he mumbled under his breath.

Savannah hold back an urge to smile. Brandon was always so bitter when it comes to another boy and the thought of him stealing Janet. Although, he didn't need to worry about that. Their mother support the two no matter what as they had promised each other to marry off their kid one day.

Back when Janet and Brandon were younger, they were like a cat and mouse, always annoy the hell out of one another. But, guess there's thin line between love and hate. And both of them were in the middle.

"Nah, Savannah needs to get ready." Someone pulled Savannah from the two, making them frown slightly. Looking up, it was Aline, Ashton Rashford's mother. Brandon just shrugged and gave her a small smile. "Congratulation, Sav. You are going to marry. I was worried you had prepared to be a cat lady as there is a bunch of cats in your house."

Janet pulled both of Brandon's ears roughly and giving him displeasant look. "Sorry, Sav. He just got high from swallowing a lizard which your cat put in his breakfast."

Savannah didn't fell offended though. Brandon was never got along with her lots of cats. One time when he tried to pet it, the cat bit off his finger. He was a bit traumatized after that.

She only responded with a smile. Before entering the make up room, she could saw Brandon desperately trying to free his ears from Janet's clutch, which was no avail.

The happiness created by the couple instantly vanished as Savannah entered the room. There had been two make up artists waiting for them. Ashton's mother immediately faced Savannah with eagerness.

"Make my daughter look stunning, alright?" She told the two, then changed her mind. "Nah, no, no, no. She is stunning already. Make her look like a goddess."

The make up artists nodded.

"Savannah, do you mind if I leave you for a while?" She gave her an excited look. "I should look for Ashton. That boy was taking too long."

Savannah gave her a little smile. "Of course, Mrs A --" she stopped herself. "I mean, of course, mother."

As the two make up artists began to work their magic on Savannah, Ashton's mother exited the room. She watched as the petite woman drew everyone's attention like a magnet. If Savannah wanted to be honest, she kinda envy a woman with confidence like that.

Ashton's mother still looked beautiful despite being in her mid fourties. There were resemblance between her and her son. They both had stunning blonde hair and brown eyes. Although the rest of Ashton features was inherited from his father, he had his mother's tender smile and compassionate look.

It took these two make up artists around two hours before they finally finished with Savannah's bridal make up. They immediately changed the her clothes into wedding gown.

The clock was tickling madly in the room, making her grew more nervous. When her father came to pick her up, Savannah couldn't help but hugging him. "Dad, I love you."

James looked at his daughter tenderly. "I couldn't believe my little daughter was going to marry today."

Savannah just smiled, desperately holding the tears that threatened to fall. She unwillingly let go of her father.

They walked into the room where the groom and bride would recite their vow one another. Savannah was a bit surprised  when she didn't find Ashton there. He'd probably running late.

So, she waited. Waited. And waited.

Until hours passed. The guests were began getting impatient. Savannah grew more nervous as those scrutinizing eyes judging her from all around the room.

Till the end of the day. Ashton never shown up.