Chapter 11 - A Blind Girl Texting

Wilfred's POV

The Next Morning (About 3 a.m.)

I slowly open my eyes, trying to figure out where I am. Paper, books, and a pen. Oh. I'm in my office. I must have fallen asleep here last night while doing paperwork. What time is it? Looking at a clock, I see that it is 3:17 a.m.

I shook my head. Ever since I met Chelsea in the library, I have been working on a bill of reform. I want to make it easier for children like her to receive help. If someone like Kate has to teach her Braille, I can't help but wonder what her school life is like. How many children with disabilities are denied access to education? Medical care? Other necessities? I want to help the best way I can.

Yawning, I reach for my phone. As soon as I open it, I see an unread message. Could it be?

'Hello, your highness. It's me, Kate.'

She texted me?! My heart is beating fast. I can't believe she actually texted me! I can feel my face heating up. I never thought it would be this soon...

My hands are shaking as I type a reply. What should I say? 'Hi, it's me, Wilfred?' No, she already knows it's me. 'Sup?' No. I'm not that cool. 'Hey sugar, I'm glad you texted me. I just got a new sweater, and its made of boyfriend material.' Oh heck no.

What is wrong with me? I turn toward the window behind me. The stars were still out, and I couldn't help but notice how they were unusually bright tonight. Almost as if they too are as happy as I am. What is it about her? Kate is just so...sweet. She always thinks before she speaks, which proves that she really cares about what she's going to say. Her heart is really kind; who else would learn Braille to teach a little girl to read? I can't help but be enamored by her.

But...how does she feel about me? She doesn't seem to be trying to avoid me anymore as she did at the ball. Could she care for me? Does she want to be my friend? Maybe something more? I won't know until I try. Maybe I should ask her on a date? But...not now. I should wait for the right moment.

With these thoughts swirling in my mind, I pushed myself up from my desk and lumbered into my bedroom. Falling onto my bed, I continued to think of that brunette girl with the honey-brown eyes until I fell asleep.

###

Kate's POV

I woke to complete darkness. There was nothing. Not even the small sliver of light I was so accustomed to seeing. This could only mean one of two things: I completely lost my sight, or it is still dark outside. Because I had woken on my own and there was no sound of someone at the door, I decided that it was probably the latter option.

I stretched as I lay in bed, not quite awake, but not asleep either. I wonder about the prince and what he's doing. Probably sleeping. Does he snore? Probably not. I wonder...

Sleeping in the same bed. Sharing meals. Speaking casually over tea. Had I never been in my accident, would we be married now? Would we be in love? My accident was five years ago; I was only 19 years old. I can only imagine what life would have been like if I had met the prince that night. We'd probably be expecting our first child by now...

I shake my head and come back to the present. I won't ever be getting married; I accepted that a long time ago. When I think about the future, I can only see myself in a study, my vision impaired, and surrounded by books written in a language of dots. Yes, that is my future.

Slowly, I began to fall back asleep, thinking of the prince and of the strange feelings I get when I am with him.

A few hours later

Sasha wakes me for some tea and my morning medicine. I'm not sure why, but I feel anxious. Oh, that's right. I asked Sasha to test the prince yesterday.

"Any reply?" I ask.

"Yes," Sasha says. "But I will only tell you if you take your medicine." I smile and pop the pills into my mouth, swallowing in an overdramatic way. Before I can ask again, Sasha beings reading. "He say..."

-From this point on is their text messages-

Wilfred: Hello Kate. It's nice to hear from you. I didn't realize you would be getting a phone so quickly.

Kate: Yeah, I was surprised too...But, I'm glad I did

Wilfred: Me too. I was looking forward to texting you. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Kate: No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have texted you so late :(

Wilfred: Don't apologize. I was up late, I just didn't see the text and ended up falling asleep at my desk. :/

Kate: Why were you up so late?

Wilfred: Work. I've been working on a bill of reform to submit to parliament....but you probably don't want to hear about that.

Kate: No, I do!

Wilfred: you do?

Kate: yes!

Wilfred: then...would you want to talk about it...over tea?

(5 minutes pass)

Wilfred: if you don't want to, you don't have to...

Kate: No, I want to...Would next week work?

Wilfred: Sure, Wednesday?

Kate: yeah

Wilfred: Perfect :)

Kate: I look forward to it :)

Wilfred: me too

-end of texting-

Sasha concludes reading the text messages to me. Thank goodness my dad is going to be out of town next Wednesday; now I can have the prince over for tea. I practically leap out of bed to greet the day. For the first time since my blindness, I feel happy. Maybe it's because...for the first time in forever, I've got a friend.