“Sorry to interrupt while things were getting interesting,” I said by way of greeting.

“Fortunately for Cassian’s balls, you arrived at the right time.” Amren resettled herself in her seat. Cassian gave a vague snarl that had me chuckling and no one else.

I was curious what they’d been chatting about before I’d arrived - or quarreling over.

“Ready to go on a summer holiday?” I asked. Mor’s head perked up.

“The Summer Court invited you?”

“Of course they did. Feyre, Amren, and I are going tomorrow.” Now it was Feyre’s turn to look at me. But it was Cassian who loomed forward waiting for me to amend my statement.

“The Summer Court is full of hotheaded fools and arrogant pricks,” he told me pointedly, a general on duty. “I should join you.”

“You’d fit right in,” Amren said with far too much delight. Picking Cassian apart was her favorite pastime. “Too bad you still aren’t going.”

“Watch it, Amren,” Cassian said and there was a strange fire in his eyes, a fire to attack and defend, that wasn’t usually there among just us. Only the smile on Amren’s face that remained no more than a taunt kept me from wondering just what sort of conversation I’d interrupted.

“Believe me,” my Second said, “I’d prefer not to go either.”

“Cassian,” I said, increasingly frustrated with whatever bizarre tension was floating around, “considering the fact that the last time you visited, it didn’t end well-”

“I wrecked one building-”

“ And , considering the fact that they are utterly terrified of sweet Amren, she is the wiser choice.”

Cassian took another step forward against me. I half expected him to invite me to spar for a place in our party. “It could easily be a trap. Who’s to say the delay in replying wasn’t because they’re contacting our enemies to ambush you?”

“That is also why Amren is coming.” I shifted away from Cassian, annoyed with the aggression in his tone. I would undoubtedly hear about it later. “There is also a great deal of treasure to be found in the Summer Court. If the Book is hidden, Amren, you might find other objects to your liking.”

Amren looked up at me in surprise. I shrugged : You said you wanted a ruby.

“Shit,” Cassian cursed. “Really, Rhys?” Yes, I was definitely going to hear about this later. “It’s bad enough we’re stealing from them, but robbing them blind-”

“Rhysand does have a point,” Amren said wickedly. “Their High Lord is young and untested. I doubt he’s had much time to catalog his inherited hoard since he was appointed Under the Mountain. I doubt he’ll know anything is missing. Very well, Rhysand - I’m in.”

Cassian took another step forward, his mouth opening. I gave him a sharp look, fed up with whatever this bullshit tension he was coming off was. I was already in a piss-poor mood contemplating how I was going to blindside Tarquin and stay in his good graces without him adding his personal grievances to the pile. “I will need you - not Amren - in the human realm. The Summer Court has banned you for eternity, and though your presence would be a good distraction while Feyre does what she has to, it could lead to more trouble than its worth.”

“Just cool your heels, Cassian,” Amren said when Cassian didn’t pull back. “We’ll be fine without your swaggering and growling at everyone. Their High Lord owes Rhys a favor for saving his life Under the Mountain - and keeping his secrets.”