I pursed my lips. "Uh, okay , well I have an internship here with a Mr. Charlemagne, so I guess I'm here to get my badge and directions to his office."

The girl stared at me for a moment. "Are you sure it was Mr. Charlemagne?"

I checked my phone screen, which was a screenshot of the paragraph text message my mother sent me a week ago with exact instructions so I wouldn't embarrass her. I found his name spelled out at least three times in the first two sentences.

"Yes, I'm sure."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Okay. One second."

Her fingers tapped on the keyboard in a rhythm that was almost satisfying to hear. "Are you Alexa Baker?"

"Yes."

"And you graduated from the University of San Diego?"

"Yes."

Oh god did this girl have a full background check on me? What if there's an arrest warrant for me in Michigan and it shows up there?

"Okay, well," she kept tapping aggressively on her keyboard, "there's a couple things, but, now, you're set."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Now if you will just stand in front of that white wall and we will take the picture for your ID badge."

I did. And I hate pictures.

She printed out my badge and then handed it to me before returning to her computer. "Each day when you come in just flash that barcode to the scanner in the elevator and it will take you to your floor. Now, just for your information, you will be on the very top floor and Mr. Charlemagne's office is at the very end."

"Okay, hold up," I said. The woman stopped and looked up at me expectantly. "My mother has told me a lot of things about this internship, but I have no idea who I'm actually working for and what I'm doing."

The girl tilted her head. "You don't know who Mr. Charlemagne is?"

I shook my head. "He sounds like the evil emperor."

She frowned. "I advise for that not to be said in introductions," she said. "He's our CEO, Ms. Baker, and you will be anything that he needs."

My eyebrows shot up. "How is that a job?"

"Well, it's a broad spectrum," she shrugged. "It starts at a coffee retriever goes to being his personal assistant that manages all of his appointments and meetings and ends at accompanying him to many different things as his note taker or advisor. It's a highly sought after job."

I nodded. "Yeah I know."

"Then you'll know not to screw it up," she said curtly. "The last intern we had in here scheduled two meetings at the same time and was fired with coffee thrown on his head."

"What?" I exclaimed.

She pressed her finger to her lips. "Just a friendly warning, Ms. Baker. Now, organization and punctuality is your key to victory. So I suggest you be off."

"Should I be worried?"

"No."

"Should I turn back now?"