Chapter 1

I stared out over the city of Vega, my hand lying gently over the blanket that covered my naked body. It was near midnight and all was silent, not even the random chatter of civilians could be heard. I sat upon a bed, pillows and sheets scattered all over it. A thin curtain ran along it, enhancing the beauty of the irregular bedroom. The lights glowing from the city below was breathtaking. I'd never seen anything more beautiful in my life.

It was hard to believe that only a day ago I was outside the walls, hiding and running from the creatures that lurked in the shadows and preyed upon the weak. I shivered. Not only was I cold, but I was scared.

And thankful. If the archangel hadn't have found me when he had, I would be dead.

And now, I was in his bed, covered by his blankets, naked. Definitely not an awkward situation at all. The angels had ripped my clothes to shreds as they attacked me. But I still ran, ran as fast as my feet would let me. I even left my weapons behind, my food and the memories of my family.

I felt the ghost of a frown grow upon my face. Tears blinded me as I shook my head, attempting to clear my thoughts.

"I see you've made yourself at home."

Shocked, I turned to glare at the man behind me. Clean clothing and shoes were nestled in his right hand and a small book in his left. His clothing was still stained with the blood of my attackers, but he didn't seem to notice. He looked over me curiously, as though searching for any signs of angel possession. I made it clear, once again, that I was human and gestured my hand over to him, asking for my clothing. He didn't argue, but simply nodded and handed me the neatly folded shirt, bra, leggings and boots.

"I hope they are to your liking." He noted, before turning around, obviously trying to give me privacy. I quickly stood from the bed and scurried to pull on my pants and shirt. As I began to tie my shoelaces, the archangel continued to speak. "If you don't mind me asking, why were you all alone out there? Angels patrol those areas regularly. If it wasn't for my arrival, you would have been torn to shreds." That final statement made me shake. You would have been torn to shreds. I felt a lump form in my throat and choked softly to stop the tears. I couldn't stop thinking about the attack, how I basically touched death and survived. I trailed my hand over the scar on my arm, a long menacing line full of humiliation and pain and lose. A tear rolled down my cheek.

"Michael," I muttered pleadingly, my eyes now full of unshed tears. "Leave. Please." Michael looked over at me wonderingly, like he was unsure as to why I wanted him to leave. I continued to gaze out the large window and out at the city, the glistening stars shining like diamonds over the city of light. I didn't want to show weakness in front of an archangel. Not now.

"As you wish." He replied as he wandered towards me. His footsteps echoed through the silence, causing shivers to run along my spine. He laid something on the bed quietly and leaned towards me, his hands crossed behind his back formally. "I apologies for the harm my brothers and sisters have induced upon you. You are safe here, Katherine, you have my word."

Then he vanished, leaving me to dwell in my pain and sorrow. I curled in Michael's bed, feeling the true agony of heartbreak and praying that maybe I could cry away the pain. Maybe I could shut my eyes and never wake up. Maybe, just maybe, my family wasn't dead.