Chapter 5

Michael and Alex dragged me away from the room and out in the open, away from the memories that continued to haunt me. I cried and cried, not caring about who saw me or how they felt. The world around me froze, leaving me lost in a trance of pain and sorrow. The memory of last night came back to me. The attack. My dream.

"Katherine, calm yourself." Michael ordered as they continued to pull me away and down the streets. No one questioned what was happening. They only gawked and chattered. But I couldn't hear them. All I could hear was the cries of my family.

It's your fault their dead. They died because of you.

"So she is Gabriel's daughter? She's an angel?" Alex asked as we entered Michael's room, the same tangle of sheets and pillows scattered along the bed. They placed me delicately upon the blankets. Michael gave me a sympathetic smile, then walked over to Alex, who then stood by the window.

"No. She is not an angel. I would have sensed it by now."

"Then what the hell is she?" Alex protested. Michael looked at the ground thoughtfully , but didn't reply. He didn't know.

I tried to say something, but my words were lost. I couldn't talk.

"Michael," Alex whispered, pulling Michael to the far side of the room. He crossed his arms over his chest, the gun he held earlier now on the floor beside me. Michael didn't protest.

"She could be dangerous! What were you thinking letting her into Vega!?" Alex continued to speak quietly. But I could hear him.

"I was helping an innocent girl. I wasn't aware of her relations to Gabriel." Michael spoke truthfully, obviously as baffled as Alex about the news. But Alec wasn't buying it.

"Bullshit, Michael! She should leave. She could be working with Gabriel-"

"But she's not," Michael added bluntly. "And if you intend on throwing her away, be my guest. But you'll have to go through me first." Michael threatened as he pushed back his coat, revealing two silver blades. Alex hesitated. "Fine. But she is to stay the hell away from the citizens of Vega!" 

"That won't be necessary-"

They proceeded to argue, both of them threatening the other. I recommenced to sitting on the bed, watching as the chosen one and archangel fought. But then, I heard him. The rasp voice of an old man lingering in my mind, speaking to me so clearly. 

"Take the gun. And shoot Michael." 

Gabriel.

I didn't waver the idea. No hesitation. I lifted the gun from the side of the bed and aimed. The target landed on Michael's heart. I put my hand on the trigger. 

"Katherine!" Alex yelled, but I could barely hear him. All I could hear was Gabriel. His voice persuading me to shoot. "Katherine, put the gun down!" 

Michael stood still, blank and stiff, not showing the slightest fragment of fear. 

Do it, Katherine. Shoot him!

I tried to stop it. I tried as hard as I was capable to. I didn't want to shoot Michael, but the voice. The persuasion and compelling nature of his tone. I had to do it.

"Gabriel is inside her head." Michael announced matter-of-factly. "She's in a trance. She won't stop until Gabriel gets what he wants."

"Well, how do you get him out?"

Michael gazed at Alex defeatedly. "We can't."

Then, as my heart dropped and my hands shook, I heard it. The bang of the bullet flying from the gun and through the air. I heard Michael moan, Alex screaming, me trembling. Michael collapsed to his knees, blood now staining the lower left side of his stomach. 

I had missed. I didn't hit his heart. I sighed a short sigh of relief, then realized what I had done. I tried to scream, but I didn't hear it. As I ran to Michael's side and stroked his hair, I heard him again. This time, he sounded happy. Pleased. 

Well done, daughter. Well done.