Chapter 6

"Everything is going to be okay, Michael."

Alex sprinted to keep up with Michael, who laid stiffly on a metallic medical bed. A thin sheet covered his lower body. But the blood seeped through it, spreading over the sheet like red raindrops. I ran to catch up with Alex.

Michael had both eyes shut and his right hand hung off the side of the bed. Alex quickly held it tightly and followed the doctors besides us, who wheeled the bed through vacant hallways and several empty reception areas. They both were discussing, examining and planning the surgical procedure.

Alex refused to look over at me as I caught up to him, watching over Micheal's limp body. The blood was spreading over the sheet rapidly. Micheal's breathing became unsteady and weak.

"I'm here for you, Michael." Alex stammered softly. Michael coughed painfully, blood now trickling from the corner of his dry lips. He lifted his eyelids briefly and murmured, "Don't let Gabriel get to you, Katherine."

I smiled, sobbing as I spoke, "Anything for you."

Alex ignored Michaels' comment and steadied himself besides the bed as it turned another sharp corner. Instead of entering yet another hallway, we arrived in a surgical room full of sharpened instruments and various electronic devices. The doctors positioned the bed in the centre of the room. Michael attempted to sit up, but was immediately placed back down. One of the doctor held his shoulder firmly and said, "Lie down, Michael. You need to relax." 

The doctors both wore facial masks that covered a majority of their faces. They even wore sunglasses that looked out of place with the medical uniform. 

Michael struggled to move from the bed, but the doctors continued to hold him back. "I suggest you two leave," one of the doctors commanded bitterly. Alex nodded without protest, shotting Michael one final look. I followed Alex as he exited the room, but quickly glanced back at Michael. He observed me pleadingly, and tried to speak. "Katherine-"

"Please, leave us now." The doctors ordered before Michael could finish his sentence. I simply shot them a small grin, then left.

Two chairs were placed at the left of the entrance. One was occupied by Alex, who sat rigidly with his face in his palms. I sat besides. "Alex, I-"

"Just, don't." Was all he said. 

We waited several minutes in the waiting area awkwardly. I attempted making conversation, but Alex refused to speak. Guilt was eating me alive. Guilt and pain.

I excused myself to the bathroom to clear my head. The room was small and sterile. I turned the tap labelled "cold" and splashed water over my face.

I glanced at my reflection dejectedly and wept quietly

What have I done? How could I have let Gabriel win? I should be dead.

Suddenly, I heard the shatter of glass, vibrating the ground and walls. Cautiously, I ran back to Alex, who stood firmly by the door to Michael's room. A pistol was gripped tightly in his right hand, while his left was leaning against the door. He pushed. I ran to see what was inside the room. My heart dropped.

Everything was destroyed. The floor was tainted with blotches of blood and splintered pieces of glass. The bed was upside down on the ground and the sheets clawed at and torn. Michael wasn't there. I looked up.

The ceiling was broken, sharp segments of glass cut around the edges. Sun light streamed through the room intensively as I walked to the centre of the room. By my feet was a note written messily in thick red blood. Alex stalked to my side and noticed the tousled sheet of paper.

Thank you for returning my brother to me, daughter. I hope to meet you soon.

Gabriel.