Chapter 13

"Why do you have this?" Noma questioned, both fear and uncertainty gleaming off her face. Her wings had now retreated back into her spine as she watched over me. She tightened her fists angrily, crinkling and tearing the sheet of paper. I gulped.

"I'll explain everything later. Right now, we need to save Michael-"

She protested instantly. "Katherine, there's something you're not telling me. Are you-" She choked on her words. "Are you Gabriel's daughter?"

My eyes widened. I could feel the sweat trickling down my back. My breathing became uneven and hesitant. Noma sighed. "Father was right," she muttered defeatedly.

I stared at her questionably. "What do you mean?"

"The scribe of God once wrote, "And the daughter of evil shall rise. Risen beside the morning star. And as the final drop of blood falls, she shall defeat earth's true demons.'" Noma continued to eye me sympathetically, as though pitying my great burden. I didn't know how to respond. Words refused to escape my mouth. I stood and stared at Noma, half in a daze of disbelief.

She gripped her hand in mine and smiled at me bravely. "It's a myth, Katherine. A word of legends!" She laughed, placing her hand delicately on my reddened cheek. I refused to display fear. I focused on our main objective; find and kill Gabriel.

"This." I said boldy. "This can wait. Let's save Michael."

Noma smiled and spread her wings in a show of beauty. She offered me both her hands. "It's going to be a bumpy ride."