The Wurst Dogs Ever

I'd been waiting all week for my delivery, ever since I'd moved into my new house. As soon as I heard the truck coming down the end of the road, I ran to my front door and opened it up, eager to meet the delivery man as soon as he arrived.

But the grumbling of the truck was quickly overpowered by the yapping of little dogs. First it was one wiener dog, then two, then five. When the truck was close enough for me to see, there had to be at least twenty wiener dogs chasing after it like a herd of bumbling sausages, barking and waddling forward as fast as they could on their stubby limbs.

Every time the truck passed another neighboring house, another wiener dog would come scampering out, joining the pack. Some of them came from little hot dog-shaped dog houses in front yards, some of them came from underneath whitewashed porches, some of them came out of doggy flaps built into front doors. But when they were together in the street, they were one enormous waddling mass of floppy brown skin and fur.

By the time the truck pulled into my driveway, over fifty wiener dogs were following behind it, sniffing each other, climbing over each other's elongated bodies, and yapping at the air. When the truck driver popped out of his seat, carrying my box in his arms, the dogs followed him, rubbing their snouts against his shiny black shoes until he reached down to give them pats. He marched up in front of me with a smile.

"Always love making deliveries to this neighborhood," he said with a chuckle. "Lovely dogs. So cute. Sign here please, ma'am."

I quickly scribbled my name and took the box from him. With a tip of the hat he was back in his truck and driving away. This time, the dogs didn't follow him. They all stayed in my yard. And they were quiet.

I set the package down on the front stoop. All the wiener dogs slowly shuffled over to watch, their eyes glued to the box. My hands were shaking with nervousness. I peeled off the tape holding it together and opened the flaps.

Out popped a wiener dog! He burst from the packing peanuts, sending them flying everywhere, licking my face as if I were made of dog treats. I held his soft sides and giggled uncontrollably, trying to wipe away as much slobber as I could while still getting more doggy kisses.

Then he stopped. He slipped down out of my palms and turned to face the group of wiener dogs.

All of their eyes were glowing red, like emergency lights warning of danger. Their mouths opened in unison as they spoke in a deep, hypnotizing monotone:

"Thank you for joining us, Sarah," they said to me in perfect harmony. "And welcome to the neighborhood."

This prompt was written with the help of chat at the ScottWritesStuff Twitch stream.