Chapter Eighteen

Začít od začátku

I didn't even realize I was crying until I started having trouble breathing. ''He can't be dead. My mom would have called me!'' I sobbed.

Jesse sat me on the bed and I pathetically cried. I was looking for answers or explanations. ''I just found out about it from a couple of the guys.''

My head snapped up, and I looked at him. ''How did they find out before I did?''

''I was wondering the same thing,'' Jesse admitted as he took my hand. ''I guess the news is all over town now.''

More tears escaped my eyes and fell from my cheeks. I hadn't even seen him since I walked out weeks ago. Hadn't talked to him either besides a quick, one line text from both of my parents saying that they accepted my apology but it didn't mean that they had forgiven me for what I'd done and said to them.

That was the last I'd heard of them.

''Who would want to kill my dad?'' I openly asked. It was more to myself than to Jesse.

This didn't feel real.

''I don't know.''

I grabbed my crutches and let go of Jesse's hand. ''I have to go see my mom. I have to figure out what happened, Jesse, because I have a feeling that this is a warning to me. They could be after my mom next. I can't let that happen.''

Jesse stood up, nodding. ''I'll go with you.''

''Thanks,'' I muttered, not in the mood to argue back right now.

''Sweetheart?''

I turned and looked over my shoulder. I was surprised by his sweet tone of voice, which was another thing that I hadn't really experienced out of him. ''Yeah?''

''I'm sorry for your loss,'' he stepped up behind me.

''Thanks, Jesse. I appreciate it.''

He nodded and pulled the door open for me. I walked out carefully, not at all surprised to see everyone sitting around and staring like hawks.

''What did you do to her?'' Ryder shouted. ''Why is she crying?''

I rolled my eyes. This shit was starting to get annoying. ''Put the gun down like I told you or I'll spill your little secret to everyone,'' I faked confidence, but inside I just wanted to cry.

''What secret?'' Damien's eyebrows raised.

''Shut up,'' Ryder growled as he tossed  the gun to the couch. ''What the hell did you do to her, man?''

''I didn't do anything,'' Jesse hissed, slamming the door behind us.

''Enough!'' I shouted. My voice cracking. ''My dad is dead, and I have to go. I have to figure out why this happened.''

The room was silent at that except for my sniffling.

''I'm going to drive her to her parents house,'' he said to Liam, who had just walked up. ''I'll bring her home alive. Don't have to worry about that.''

''She's not going with you,'' Ryder's tone was softer than before and not so harsh. His eyes were on me.

''Yes I am. I need him there with me. He won't do anything,'' I walked up to Ryder and looked right into his eyes and lowering my voice. ''You know that.''

Ryder was thinking hard about it and I could see it. Finally he sighed and pulled his pistol from his back pocket. ''You take this, since you don't have yours on you,'' he said, ''and you be careful. This could be a setup.''

''What do you mean? He wouldn't do that,'' I whispered as I grasped the gun.

''I didn't say he would,'' Ryder glanced behind me, ''but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. Someone might be trying to lure you over so they can put a bullet in your head.''

I gulped and wiped my eyes. ''I get it. I'll be careful. Promise.''

Ryder nodded, ''I'm sorry about your dad.''

''Thanks,'' I whispered. I took a step back and looked at Jesse. ''Let's go.''

''You're not seriously going to allow this, are you?'' Damien broke in.

''Just for today. This is important,'' Ryder hissed back, and Damien slammed his hand on the table.

Jesse headed for the door. He was just as tired of the bullshit as I was, but Ryder stopped us again. ''You better take care of her, Jesse, or your man Steve will be six feet under by morning.''

Jesse whipped around, the grip on his gun tightening. ''You know better than to fuck around with my boys.''

''If something happens to her, you're dead and so is Steve,'' Ryder hissed.

''I've heard that before, but you've never actually gone through with it,'' Jesse replied, looking smug. ''Wonder why that is, brother?''

When I realized that Ryder was heading straight for Jesse, I decided it was best to get the hell out of there. I used all my strength to push Jesse out the door, all while trying to keep my balance.

''Don't fight with him, please. I just need to see my mom,'' I practically begged him.

I saw his muscles relax and he nodded, ''You're just lucky a pretty crippled girl was pushing me out the door, otherwise I wouldn't have gone so willingly. ''

I cracked a small smile, ''Oh I'm sure.''

Getting into his car, I couldn't help but wonder how he gotten into the clubhouse without getting shot in the first place.

''Do you remember where I use to live?'' I asked as Jesse got in.

''Yeah, I remember.''

''Okay,'' I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes.

It still hadn't completely sank in...the fact that my dad was dead and I didn't even get to say goodbye. Hell, the last time I saw him I was yelling at him. So for that, I felt like a terrible person, and I wanted nothing more than to see him again. Just one last time.

But wasn't that what everyone wanted? To see their deceased loved ones again, even if just for one moment?