Chapter 6 - Garry's Past

This room.. It's so small.. Where's Garry... What.. Why are they chasing me.. I'm locked!! Help!! I can't get out!! The frame lady... The headless statue.. The mannequin head... Stay away from me!! Help! Garry!

I woke up. It had just been a nightmare. I had Garry's coat placed on me, and the room seemed safe. The coat was a bit wet though, oh no. Don't tell me I peed on Garry's coat. OH MY GOODNESS I PEED ON HIS COAT. Garry's gonna hate me. "Hey, Ib! Glad to see you're awake! How are you feeling today?" Garry said in a cheerful voice while checking out some books. "I'm fine, just had a nightmare though." I answered casually. "Can't say I'm surprised that you had a nightmare, after all you've been through. I actually had sort of a nightmare myself." He chuckled. "I had a dream that the monsters took you away and you tried so hard to escape but you couldn't. But I didn't count it as a nightmare." He smiled. "Why's that?" I asked. I wonder why? Does that mean he wouldn't care what happens to me? But that's illogic! When I fell earlier, he could've just left without me! "Well, you're a tough girl, I know you can find a way to escape. Oh, and Ib, would you take a look at what's inside that pocket?" He ordered. Inside the coat was a piece of candy that, fortunately, wasn't drenched in my pee. " You can have it. Feel free to eat it." He smiled more. I stood up grabbed his coat, but I don't think I'll give it back to him yet though. Maybe I should talk to him, expand our friendship or something..

"Hey, Garry?" I said as I went near him. "What is it?" He replied. "What was your life before you were in this gallery?" I asked. "Well, it was.. It sorta's like.. Uhm, you know what? I don't really know actually. It's like I forgot everything or something. The only thing I'm sure is that it wasn't that bizarre like what's happening right now, eh?" He chuckled. "How about you, Ib?" He asked back. "It was boring. Everything was boring until I met you." I answered. "Aww, that's sweet of you!" He ruffled my hair. To be honest, I've never met someone that's so caring like Garry. He cares about me more than my parents actually, because if my parents care about me like Garry, they probably wouldn't let me wander off at some gallery we've all been to for the first time! "How old are you?" He asked. "I'm 9" I said.

"Oh, you share the same age as Lucy! Heh."

I saw him look down after saying that. I think he was feeling sad. And who's Lucy? "Who's Lucy? Is she your sister?" I asked. "Was." He replied. "How foolish of me to let that out!" He striked his fist down the table. Gosh, I have never seen him get this angry or worried. "What happened?" I grabbed his hand before he could bang it on the table again. "She was my sister, I loved her. Treated her the same way I treated you. She was special. My parents died when me and my sister were young. We suffered a lot just to be able to afford food, clothing and shelter. All the sufferings were worth it. We were able to buy a small apartment, enough for the two of us. We have the right amount of clothing and food. Until one night, I was smoking outside the apartment, yeah, I smoked when I was young, after smoking, I came back to the apartment and the door was open, the placed looked brutal, broken lamps, plates, teared wallpaper, like some typhoon fucked up the place.." He stopped with his eyes wide open. "Er.. I mean messed. Messed up the place. Heheh. Anyways, I couldn't find my sister, there was a note that said "Garry! What about your bubble bath?" I checked the bathroom and.. Saw.. my sister.. dead.. drenched in her own..--" He stopped and covered his eyes. He was crying, I could hear him crying. I patted him in the back for late condolences. "She could've been 15 right now.." He sobbed more. "I'm so sorry I brought that up." I said, if that made him feel better, which I certainly don't think so. He then again wiped his eyes and laugh. "That's okay Ib. You don't have to blame yourself! Besides, I think you were just curious to find out. Everyone has pain in the past. I'm certainly sure you have one too, even at this age. But, I won't ask for it." He smiled. "So, you ready to go, Ib? Oh! There's my coat! Thank you." He quickly got the coat. I was too scared to not give it to him even though that was exactly my plan. "Hm, it smells weird. Probably since I haven't washed this yet. Haha!" He laughed and wore his coat.

I think it's best for him not to know what happened to the coat.

We continued our journey, hoping to find more allies and a way out.