Chapter Twenty-Four

Adlai stood on the Bridge, next to Ripple, the two of them running diagnostics on the Horizon's flight systems. The last thing anyone needed was to lose power or something on the approach to Acantha. Ripple was muttering something cross about how they only had forty-eight hours of fuel left when Captain Falk stepped onto the Bridge, his shoulders slumped.

"Well," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "It's official. According to a very angry Colonel Schuyler, since we have disobeyed a direct order, the IRC starship Horizon and its crew have been declared rogue. Any other Ranger and law enforcement crafts have orders to shoot us down on sight."

"Great," Ripple said, rolling her eyes. "We don't have enough fuel to power all our weapons systems, get to Acantha, attack a fortress, and get somewhere secure, either."

"So we do our best to stay off any other crafts' radars," Stark said from where he was leaning against a wall, watching everything. "We get spotted, we're dead. We can't afford to fight back."

Captain Falk groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "Okay," he said. "So, Slater, you're officially on monitoring duty. Keep an eye on our radar systems and make sure we don't go near anyone. Everyone else, if he shouts, evasive maneuvers, got it? Oh, and one more thing. Since we've gone rogue, we are no longer Ranger operatives. Everyone, hand in your ID badges and your comms bracelets. Carter, collect them from everyone on the Bridge, then order all squad leaders to collect their people's. Lock them up somewhere secure."

Carter nodded, and Adlai saw her knuckle away a tear as she pulled out her badge and slipped her bracelet inside it. "Okay, everyone," she said, her voice trembling. "Badges."

Adlai watched as every person on the Bridge handed over their badges and bracelets. A couple people actually cried. Stark hesitated the longest, but finally handed his over, then stalked off the Bridge before anything else could happen.

Then, Carter slipped out of the room, and Captain Falk spoke up again. "Nash gave us a list of names, leaders of the Red Night. Maybe not the very top brass, but very high up. I want a splinter team to peel off and start bringing them in. Ripple, you've got command. Pick your team."

Ripple nodded, cool as ice, studying the people on the Bridge. "Five people total," she said decisively. "Slate and Fletcher." She turned to Captain Falk. "I know I'm going to have to make a good case for this, but I want Cade and Tess." Before anyone could protest, she held up a hand. "Listen, okay? I know that the entirety of Fox squad is going to want to go rescue Rowan. I also know you need Ocelot, since they're Bridge veterans. I need a Science Officer who isn't working either on the teleporter or the knockout guns, so that leaves Tess.

"Odds are, I'll also need a hacker to get to these people, and since we have a dearth of hackers on the Bridge, and I don't know anyone else well enough to want them at my back, that leaves Cade. Plus it'll be good to see how he performs in the field without the pressure of a raid like the one your planning. Same with Fletcher.

"As for Slate, I know he probably wants to go for Rowan, but I need a weapons and combat specialist. Since Slater is our only sniper besides me and Rowan, he's needed here. Plus, Fletcher can snipe for us. If Slater's not on the ground, fighting, then that leaves only Santiago and McIntire to fight with Reid. Fox Squad has Holden, Prescott and Jase already. Plus, Slate has more medical training than anyone else in the squad except for Carter and Gerrit, which could come in useful on the splinter team."

Ripple folded her arms, no expression at all on her face, waiting. Adlai stared at her, thinking that that was the most she'd ever heard the white-haired girl talk, and every word was said with cool logic and no emotion.

Captain Falk let out a long sigh. "Okay," he said. "I've ready Kincaid's file; she's a solid fighter. It'll be good to see how she works with everyone. Slate is an obvious yes–sorry, Slate. I know you wanted to go after Rowan, but Ripple needs you more. As for Fletcher, you're right. She can be your sharpshooter. I don't know if Cade's much of a fighter, but you do need a hacker. However, he and Fletcher will need an S.O., even if that person doesn't go with you."