Chapter Sixteen

In the days after the Rangers arrived, Adlai detected a shift in Major Kramer's attitude. He began pushing each one of his cadets even harder than before. Every day, at least one person passed out from exertion, and, twice already, Adlai herself had pushed herself to the point of vomiting.

In the meantime, the Rangers worked alongside them, and, to Adlai's shame, even Lieutenant Rowan and Lieutenant Reid, both of whom were injured, performed better than she did–than anyone did. When she watched them, especially Lieutenant Rowan and Operative Ellis, she felt a pang of jealousy and wished she could be as good as they were.

And then, after several days, Major Kramer was late one morning, and, when he did come in, it was with all six Rangers in tow. Each of them sported grim expressions, except for Ripple Ellis, who, as usual, gave away none of her true feelings.

After a brief discussion the cadets were not privy to, Major Kramer stepped forward. "There's been a development. I'm sure each of you remembers the asshole we captured, Karn Vail. The people he worked for have done something very bad, and now the Rangers have been brought in to work with us. Since I was put in charge of the Vail situation, that means I've been put in charge of the whole thing. And, since you are all under my command, that means you're working it with us."

Lieutenant Reid stepped forward. "You will all be brought onto our mobile command center, the starship IRC Horizon. But, in order to do that, you will each need clearance to get onboard, as well as to access our headquarters."

Now, it was Rowan who stepped forward. "Each of you must pass a lie detector test to even set foot on one of our shuttles. Some of you, those who have been fast-tracked for specialized courses, must pass other tests as well. To that effect, Sergeant Tate, if you would."

Lieutenant Reid's second-in-command cleared her throat. "Once your name is called, you will come with me. I will administer the polygraph, then Sergeant Rowan will conduct any further interviews that might be needed."

"All right, once I call your name, follow Sergeant Tate," Major Kramer said, straight to business, as usual. "First group: Fletcher, Moreau, Solberg, Walker."

Adlai stepped forward, Ilse at her side. Solberg looked worried, and Walker looked downright terrified. What the fuck had happened?

They followed Sergeant Tate into an unused classroom, where everyone but Adlai was told to wait. "Cadet Fletcher, please come with me," Sergeant Tate said kindly, and led Adlai into the classroom next door.

Inside, an odd machine was set in the center of the room, one chair right at its center. "Nothing to worry about," Sergeant Tate said. "Just take a seat, and try to relax."

Adlai did as she was told, closing her eyes and taking a few deep breaths. Sergeant Tate pulled several things out of a cabinet, then instructed, "Okay, take off your jacket and your boots and socks, then sit as far back as you can with your feet pressed firmly against the ground."

Adlai did as she was told, and Sergeant Tate strapped her to the back of the chair, then tied her feet down, and bound her wrists to the arms of the chair. Then, moving quickly, she attached several different clips to different parts of Adlai's body.

"Okay," Sergeant Tate said, stepping back. "I'm going to give you an injection of a drug that will amplify your body's reactions. I will sincerely advise you not to tell a lie." She jabbed Adlai with a needle, straight into her thigh, then pulled out a second syringe. "This drug will make cause your body to react negatively if you give off the signs of a lie." She stabbed it into Adlai's other thigh.

Adlai nodded, trembling a bit. She wasn't that frightened, but she figured it was the first drug that was at work. Sergeant Tate gave her a third injection. "A mild sedative, designed to calm fear. It means you won't be able to alter the readings by speeding up your heartbeat or anything like that."