Chapter Thirteen

A week after the Ranger had left the army base, Major Kramer took the Aquamarine cadets on a longer-than-usual run along the mountain paths. Adlai had gotten the full use of her arm back two days earlier, and so, when Kramer gave each cadet an unloaded rifle to carry on the run, she got one too, and, a couple of miles in, she found herself wishing she'd pretended to still be in pain, because she was, well... in pain. Her arms and lower back ached, but she fared better than some of the cadets. Several of them had already dropped their weapons and had to sprint to catch up after they stopped to pick up their rifles.

At the end of the seven mile slog, they came back around to the front of the base, just as a shuttle with the Rangers' insignia emblazoned on the side lowered to the ground, then hovered there as a gangplank was lowered. Major Kramer drew the cadets to a halt as six people, dressed in Rangers fatigues, walked out of the shuttle.

In the lead was Lieutenant Reid, but the other five were strangers. Lieutenant Reid greeted the Major who had come out to greet them. From their position nearby, the cadets could hear him introducing his companions.

"This is Acting Lieutenant Rowan of Fox Squad, and Operatives Takara and Ellis." He pointed to a young woman leaning on a cane, her knee in a heavy brace, then to a young man with inky hair, and, finally, to a woman with shockingly pale hair and an expressionless face.

Then, he waved another woman forward. "My second, Sergeant Tate, of Ocelot Squad, and Operative Slater," he said, pointing to a young woman with short hair, and a guy with bulging muscles and a smile on his face.

The Major who'd greeted them shook each Ranger's hand in turn, then led them inside with a few friendly words.

Once they were gone, Major Kramer shepherded the catets back into a run and back inside, and, finally, they could put their rifles down. Adlai set her weapon down and shook out the aches in her arms with a few muttered curses.

That afternoon, they were in the Sim Room, fighting against the Maroon cadets in a mockup of a ruined city. With Major Kramer commanding them, the cadets darted from building to building, using the crumbling walls for cover.

The cornered the other team in the ruins of the city hall, and Major Kramer split them up into three groups. Adlai was put in command of five cadets, Solberg another five, while Major Kramer took the other ten to attack the front doors.

Solberg took his cadets around to the back entrance, while Adlai and her group, made up of Aquamarine's best climbers, scaled the building's walls, removed a panel from the roofing, then swung in just as Kramer's people breached the entrance, pelting the Maroon cadets with stun darts and catching them by surprise.

The fight was over quickly, and Adlai and her cadets abseiled down to the ground and unhooked their carabiners. They left the Sim Room with a hail of cheers and applause, Jeremiah letting out an ear splitting whistle, and Solberg whooping with uncharacteristic cheer. It had been an easy victory for Aquamarine, and, for once, they weren't too tired after their day's work.

For a treat, Major Kramer gave them the afternoon off, and let them use one of the leisure rooms, where they could just relax and enjoy themselves for once.

The leisure rooms looked like lounges with any kind of game or food or book they could want. Adlai settled down with Ilse, Darcy, Walker and Jeremiah, each with a drink in hand–non-alcoholic. Alcohol wasn't allowed on the base.

They started playing a word game, but Adlai kept getting distracted. After awhile, she gave up and just sat and listened. After about an hour, Solberg placed his hand on her shoulder, making her jump. She whirled, about to tell him to fuck off, when he said, "Netball game, fifteen minutes. Against Coral."