Chapter 21 - Voices of Sicili

"What? I told you to let your hair down."

"Yeah, but I didn't think that you meant it literally." She said, prying a few strands from her faced. "Give it back before I end up looking like Frankenstein's bride."

"No!" He grinned, switching her band to his right hand.

"No?" Her eyes widened at him. "What do you mean no?"

"No means no, Ms. Slade." He jokingly scolded her. "I'm sure that your parents must have taught you that."

A laugh tickled her throat. "If we were in a public place I would have stumped on your toes for making it sound as though I'm trying to rape you. Now, give it back, Tomas. I'm serious."

"So am I." He smirked, "And just to show you how serious I am..." he lifted his hand up, dragging it out of the window and dangled her elastic band in one finger.

"Oh God!" Laurie gasped.
Her eyes went to his dark shade and trailed down to the mischievous grin on his lips.

He wouldn't.

But in a blink of an eye... it was gone.

"I can't believe you did that!" Laurie cried, eyes widening as she stared at Tomas.

He had a sheepish grin stuck to his face and it made him look younger, full of life and the sight warmed at her heart.

The serious tone in her voice as if almost scolding at him certainly didn't match the expression on her face, Tomas noted. If anything it looked like she was having a hard time concealing her own amusement.

He rather liked this side of her. The side whereby she didn't look so tensed around him, as if any minute she might jump out of the car if he so much as blinked at her.

It felt... nice. Different.

"Well, Ms.Slade, I wouldn't have been forced to take action if you had listened the first time around. Now just sit back and enjoy the ride." He said, glancing back at her then added, " Or do I need to glue your back to the seat?"

Laurie smiled and did as she was told. Tomas had just threatened to glue her to the seat and after the little stunt that he had just pulled, she only half believed that he was joking but didn't dare argue for fear that he wasn't.

It was long drive to Palermo, Tomas had suggested showing her around Vucciria. 'She would fit right in' he had told her. As puzzled and a little self-aware as his statement had left her, Laurie tried not to let her mind ponder on meaning behind it.

Nibbling on the inside of her cheek, she gave him a quick nod of the head before following suit behind him as he began to lead the way.

Walking down the side streets around Piazza San Domenico, Laurie stopped dead in her tracks and her eyes widened in amazement. Tomas had taken her to an open air market. Everything, from the aroma of porchetta to the vibrant colours of sun-ripened produce began to feed her senses and her soaking in the atmosphere.

"Welcome to Sicily's la Vucciria!" Announced Tomas with undeniably pride in his voice.

"La Vucciria??" Laurie questioned, unable to tear her eyes away from unique view.

"It means voices." Tomas replied.

Voices. She allowed the word to settle in her brain before saying, "It's a lot to take in at once."

She had been so mesmerised by the sight that she had missed the smile that curved slightly on Tomas's lips and the glint of mockery in his eyes ; as if somehow he had effortlessly proven his point about her fitting right in.