one

WARNING: This book is about the tragic and devastating terror attack from 2001. If you feel triggered by this content because you witnessed the terror attack or because someone you know was there or near the towers, or whatever else reason there is that might distress you connected with this story, then I recommend you NOT to read this. Take care. x

__________________

C H A P T E R        O N E

07:26am — Valerie

        Valerie puts the last candle on the table and quickly lights it. The whole room is dark except for the five tiny candles on the small breakfast table she has set up for her daughter Amy. A few presents are resting on the table surrounded by three plates, ready to be filled with Amy's favourite breakfast.

 Quietly, she walks upstairs and enters the bedroom that Harry and she share. Harry lies on his stomach but his right arm is stretched out to hold his daughter tightly against his bare chest. The blanket is mostly used by Harry but Amy does not seem to be cold, though.

 "Good morning, you two sleepy heads." Valerie whispers and gently shakes Harry's shoulder who groans in a tired manner.

 However, Amy is wide awake after she heard her mother's words and shoots up. A huge smile took over her face and her blonde curls have messily fallen into her forehead. "Mommy!" 

 "Good morning, sweetie," Valerie says and Amy crawls over to her so she can get a hug, "Happy Birthday."

 Harry turns on his back and stares at his wife and daughter when Valerie is about to leave the bedroom again to carry Amy into her own room. A small smile plays around his beautiful lips when he sees his two girls. His large hands rub over his face before he speaks up.

 "Mornin', Valerie." Harry greets his wife and his smile widens when he sees Amy, "Happy Birthday, sweetheart." Harry gets up a second later to give both of his girls a kiss on the cheek.

 Together they walk downstairs and watch how Amy's eyes sparkle when she sees all the presents that are only for her. Harry is still in his sweatpants and shirtless as he takes a seat across from Amy.

 Giggling, she unwraps her presents and marvels because everything seems to be better than the last one.

 "Hey Amy, do you wanna come with me to work today?" Harry offers to her and squeezes Valerie's hand underneath the breakfast table.

 Amy does not see her father very often. In fact Valerie and Amy don't see Harry often because Harry always works late into the night so she is already asleep when he comes home and he has to get to work early so she is still asleep when he leaves the house.

 Amy hastily nods. "Can we stand on the roof then, daddy?"

 "I don't think this is possible." Harry chuckles.

 "But it's my birthday." She pouts.

 "I know but look, we're gonna be very high though. You're gonna see so much of New York," Harry tells her and Amy's eyes light up, "You just need to get ready very quickly because I have to leave soon, sweetheart."

 "Okay, daddy!" Amy yells excited and gets off her seat to run into her room.

 "When are you going to be home?" Valerie asks Harry and lets out a loud breath before he answered.

 "I'll be home for lunch but I might have to go back to the office afterwards." Harry explains and she sighs again. 

 "You're barely home and today...it's your daughter's birthday." She reminds him and looks up to him only to see his stern facial expression that took over his beautiful face.

 "I know, okay? And I really try to be home as often as I can but I do have a job, Valerie!" Harry says through gritted teeth and takes a deep breath.

 "Whatever." Valerie murmurs and cleans the table. Without another word Harry disappears to get into the bathroom.

 Sighing, Valerie enters Amy's room to help her getting ready. Valerie is happy that Harry wants to take his daughter with him, that he tries to spend more time with her but a feeling tells her she should rather let her stay home. Both of them should stay home today in her opinion.

 Twenty minutes later and Harry appears in Amy's room. He pushed his brunette curls out of his face and is wearing a black suit. He is looking handsome—like always. Even after two years of marriage she can't keep her eyes from her beautiful husband.

 "Are you ready, Amy?"

 "Yes!" She screams and jumps from her bed but Valerie holds her back from running around.

 "You still have to brush your teeth, go." She tells her and Amy sighs before she leaves her room to brush her teeth. Harry stands opposite from her, leaning against the door frame. His left hand is buried in the pocket of his trousers and the fingers of his right hand play with his bottom lip as he eyes Valerie.

 "I'm sorry for being rarely home." Harry mumbles and Valerie presses her lips into a thin line. Dismissively, she crosses her arms in front of her chest. Harry crosses the space between the two of them and wraps his arms around her middle and kisses her forehead, "I love you but I gotta go now. See you later, baby."

 "Be careful." She tells him and Harry gives her one last kiss before he helps Amy putting her jacket on and leaves with her, hand in hand.

 To that time none of them knew what terrible things this day would bring.