Prolouge - Soulmate or Not

It is a chilly Tuesday this October morning.

I was fucked.

There's no way

My feet ache with every step as I continue to run.

I'm falling behind

Replaying the events coursing through my head subconsciously forces me to pick up speed, wishing I could just run away from it all.

What happened that summer?

Glancing at my bruised arm and recalling the pain that it came with side tracks my recollection but the fire in my lungs and the lump in my chest steals my attention back to the task at hand.

Jesus, I can barely breathe, I won't be able to outrun it this time.

"11 minutes and 34 seconds! You need to get less than 5 minutes to pass my class, Mr. Green"

I flop to my knees.

The rough ground of the high school track feels uncomfortable but I'm too tired to do anything about it.

I flop to my stomach and pull out my inhaler from the pocket of my track pants.

I roll over on my back and take the cap off.

I try to breathe in and hold the air a couple times but it's hard when you're nearly hyperventilating.

I feel the fire in my lungs subside for now.

I noticed my glasses start to fog up from all the heat of my body mixing with the cool autumn air.

And it's only 2nd period.

The bits of track gravel dig into my hands as I attempt to get up off the ground. My head feels little light headed from standing up too fast but I shake it off and start towards the gym where the locker rooms are with the rest of the class, when.

"Hey, tall ass!"

Shit. Ryan.

Ryan has been a bully since the beginning of the school year.

Nobody really knows what happened over the summer.

"You can't even run a 5-minute mile? I could fuck your mom faster than that."

Some of his buddies around him laugh at his sad excuse for a joke,

I turn and try to go around them.

"You wish you had a mom," I said under my breath,

"WHAT WAS THAT YOU LITTLE C-"

"Alrighty boys, settle down." Coach Montgomery interjected.

Ryan took a swing at my face before storming off.

I fall to the ground feeling my cheek swell up with hot pain.

"RYAN! Don't make me write you up to the principal again."

Holding my cheek as I get up and quickly head for the locker room before Ryan does.

I get to my locker, let out a sigh of relief and open it up.

From my bag, I grab my small emergency travel kit that I keep on me at all times cause Ryan picks me for a target more than most kids at my school.

For some reason...

I walk over to a mirror and notice my cheek has swelled up a little, a bruise starts to form already and it's bleeding a little

Wincing at the pain, I take a paper towel and wipe the blood off the blood.

I take out a small gauze patch and hold it against my face with one hand and tape it carefully with the other.

I step back to look at my handy work.

I head back towards my locker and start taking my sweaty shirt off, when the sound I regret more than the ring of the late bell when I'm nowhere near my class, his voice again.

"Sup, nerd~"

I jump in my own skin and turn my head.

"Ready for another lesson??"

He grabs my hair and we lock eyes, they're so full of sick, twisted hate... and sadness... and something else?

For a second, a part of me wishes I could help him... somehow... I wish I could change whatever happened that summer... Then I realize.

Oh shit, This is it.

I close my eyes waiting for what's to come.

I'm gonna nearly die again.

Panic starts to rise in me when his grip tightens and-

"....What the— "

His grip loosens a little, I open my eyes and my thoughts were interrupted by a change of facial expression and tone of voice. I notice a dim glow reflecting off his face as he looks down at my chest.

"...Huh?"

Surprised, I see a small light emanating through his slightly sweaty tank top, it glows brighter the more seconds pass by but they feel like minutes or even hours.

"Y-Your chest it—"

I suddenly realize my chest is glowing as well...

"Wait...NO—SHIT—"

I feel a faint blush crawls up my face as I stare intently into the light, worrying it will go out with the slightest movement.

"That means we're—-"

He looks up at me and we lock eyes once more... is that? hope?

"AW HELL NO!!"

I ASKED FOR A CHANGE, BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

I MEAN I LIKE HIM AND ALL. BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL MY PARENTS I HAVE TO MARRY A BOY.

He grabs my neck.

"I swear if you tell anyone this,"

He pulls me closer.

"I will end you."

He locks eyes with me for what seemed like an eternity, something shifted in his gaze.

I don't know if its the pulsing glow reflecting off his face but I think he's blushing.

Only the sounds of our heavy breathing and the faint hum of our hearts, fill the empty locker room.

Our faces were so close,

he could have let me go by now but...

if I just moved a little closer-

RIIIIIIINNNNGGGGASJKLKJGGAJGFFZGZHj

It was the bell.

The glowing stops and we both jump.

He releases my neck and walks away.

I stand there, staring at the ground, wondering if anything really happened.

I shake my head.

It will just go back to the way it's always been.

Soulmate or not.