Chapter 2

Mother finally arrived this afternoon. I was so worried about her but somehow I knew she was alright even before she arrived. We all hugged her tightly. She then introduced us to Randolf the giant she had been hugging on, back at the fairy bridge. He hugged each one of us and told us he would always watch over us. He then told us he looked forward to getting to know us better during this fortnight we will be spending here.

Mothers eyes seemed to be brighter when she looked at Randolf, I could tell there was more to this than she was letting on, I guess you could say I was mature beyond my years. My brothers never understood what I was talking about. I however, knew that mother was not telling us something and I was determined to find out what she was hiding.

My brothers had gone to the torture chamber with the old giant who told me he was the Troll King, after I had, so I was able to explain to them what they would be required to do. Teddy decided to go second so I made sure I told him to keep an open mind and just do whatever the Troll King asked him to. Teddy wasn't really too sure about going with him but after a little coaxing and a big piece of candy he went willingly. Simon went next and then of course Alvin who is terrified of his own shadow.

Ok, so back to me, my name is Madilyn. Apparently I was named after my grandmother on my mom's side because everyone thought she was dead. Turns out she just disappeared, hit her head, and got amnesia. Now she is back in our lives, and we could not be happier about it. So everyone calls me Maddie because grandmother uses our given name Madilyn. I think it suits me just because I am mad so often. Mostly at my brothers! My mother says one day I will get over being mad all the time but I really don't see that ever happening.

When I went to the torture chamber with the Troll King, I was really worried about what was going to happen. Once we arrived in the chambers, I was introduced to a book in the center of the room that had magic pages inside of it. I was told that if I could turn the pages with my mind the book would open up to the page that was needed to determine what I was to become. After I was easily able to turn the pages with my mind (something I had been doing since before I was two) I was informed that I was the true ere to become the next Fairy Queen.

The Troll King then said "If you have any questions for me, now would be the time to ask them."

I began to rattle off question after question at him not even giving him time to respond before asking the next. "I want to know everything about my destiny. When will it happen most of all? When will I get my wings and when can I expect to be able to fly?" I dreamed of flying almost every night. "Tell me what kind of powers I will have, aside from flying? I already know that I can see into the future sometimes." I even found myself floating above my bed from time to time, but I just needed to know what all this meant for me, for the future of all of us.

He chuckled loudly with a belly laugh that nearly shook the room. I tried to keep a straight face but it was not happening this time. We both laughed as he began to try and answer my questions without leaving anything out.

First he began You will get your wings when they are ready to come in but fairies are all different and none of you are the same. It will happen somewhere between the age of 10 and 17. I might take a little while to learn to fly once you get them though. It takes time to learn to use them and be able to fly with accuracy." He continued "Not all fairy queens have the same powers. Sophie does not have the power to see into the future although she can occasionally get a feeling about something that is about to happen in the near future but does not get visions of it only feelings." He assured me though "When you grow into your powers you will be more than capable of handling them. It just happens like that for all fairies."

I wanted to prove to him that I was prepared to take on whatever this world threw at me. I was ready to become what I needed to be to save this world and restore the balance that was taken so many years ago. He confided in me that I was wise beyond my years and very mature for my age. He then asked me if my brothers were as mature and wise. I snorted loudly into the cup of my hand trying to hide my apparent amusement as well as shock, poorly. He began to belly laugh again as did I within a few seconds after he realized obviously my brothers were neither wise nor mature at this age.

He wanted me to understand what my brothers and I are in store for when we reach adulthood, but he was not sure if I would understand yet. Carefully he tiptoed around how dangerous our quests would be when the time came. But also how necessary it would be for us to complete them in order to break the curse. To this very day I do not believe he understood that even at only 5 years old I was more aware of my journey than even he was and much more determined than ever to complete the quest before me. (Mostly I just wanted to fly though).

When I returned to the room with my brothers they were all three playing some game in the corner where they built a block castle and they were trying to keep the dragon from knocking it down. Teddy was the dragon of course and I already knew Simon and Alvin could not prevent the castle from coming down. Needless to say as I walked up to them, Teddy turned around and his big foot knocked over one corner and then he fell over on it crashing the whole thing to the ground. Not like I didn't see that coming or anything.

Alvin and Simon jumped on top of him and began to pretend to stab him with imaginary swords and the like. All I could do was smile and laugh at how silly they were. When they had succeeded in killing the dragon and his mouth was agape, Simone reached down to where Teddy's heart would be and yanked his hand into the air claiming he had stolen the heart of the beast! More laughter ensued they even got a snicker from the chamber maid who had been watching us intently.

When they were finished and everyone was alive again, we sat on the edge of one of the beds because the boys wanted to know what had happened with the old giant.

I began to tell them "There is nothing to worry about! He is actually the Troll King and he is so very kind. You all need to pay attention while you are being tested and follow directions from the Troll King. You will need to be perfectly honest with him and ask as many questions as you need to in order to understand what our futures will hold. The entire land depends on us to break this stupid curse. You babies better not let me or the rest of the Kingdoms down."

The four of us placed our hands in the center of our little circle we had made placing one hand on top of another until all eight of our hands had formed together. We made a pact that day to do whatever we needed to in order to complete our quests and save the world from this curse everyone had been talking about. Teddy was the tough one and informed me that he would protect us all. We all laughed remembering how clumsy he was just moments ago even though we knew he would do whatever it took to make sure we were all safe!