II.

After leaving the dock, Ophelia walked home and took a shower

After leaving the dock, Ophelia walked home and took a shower. She felt a lot better so she decided to play the piano.

She had been taught to play by her mother before she was killed, but it was clear that the brunette had a natural talent.

She sat on the bench and played an ancient piece by Mozart. She always felt safe playing the piano. It would always comfort her when she felt a panic attack coming on.

When she finished the piece, she stood up and turned on her TV. Images of different Districts on fire and Peacekeepers violently beating innocent people lashed back and forth. Ophelia held back the urge to vomit.

This had all started with the 74th Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark—the Star-crossed Lovers. The rules were changed in the middle of their games so there could be two winners. However, the rules were changed again and there could only be one winner. Long story short, they decided they'd rather both die from Nightlock poisoning than kill each other. So the gamemakers stopped them both before they could ingest the berries. Ever since then, there has been an uproar around the other Districts.

Ophelia turned off the TV, sighed, then decided to make herself some chicken noodle soup.

<>

She woke up to the sound of birds chirping, which immediately put her in a good mood. She sat up quickly, with no complications. She smiled when she realized she had no symptoms of paralysis that day.

She left her room, walked down stairs, and made herself oatmeal, and once she was done eating, Ophelia got dressed and exited her house to take a walk around her District.

The wind made her dark hair tangle but she didn't mind it because the breeze felt good on her skin. A few minutes passed and she grew bored, so she decided to cut her walk short and made her way home.

As she reached her house she remembered her plans to talk with her best friend, Johanna. Swiftly, she pushed open her door and rushed over to the phone on her wall. She picked it up and dialed her number, waiting patiently to hear Johanna's voice.

"Hello?" Johanna questioned.

"Hi, Johanna! It's Ophelia."

"Ophelia? It's been forever! You need to socialize more." The brunette smiled at her best friend's words.

"Well you need to pick up the phone more; you're always training like there's a surprise Quarter Quell coming."

"Well, there could be—you never know."

"So anything new?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Hmm, I met the famous Finnick Odair."

Johanna gasped dramatically. "Really? He's single, by the way." Ophelia rolled her eyes at her comment.

"I'm not ready for anything yet." She let out, causing Johanna to sigh.

"Sometimes, I hate you, Ophelia Parks."

"If it makes you feel better, I'm going over to his house for dinner tonight."

"Oh, my God! Really? That's great!"

"Oh no, I gotta go! If I let this pie cook any longer I'm gonna burn down my house."

Johanna giggled then nodded.

"Bye, Joe."

"Bye, Ophelia."

She put the phone back on the wall and sat on her kitchen table. She took a glance at the time and gasped; she only had thirty minutes before she had to be at Finnick's.

The brunette ran up her stairs and went through her closet, picking out a yellow sundress. She stripped off her clothes and pulled the dress over her head. When she was finished changing, she curled her hair and sprayed her favorite perfume on her wrists and neck.

<>

She left her house and walked down the street of the victor's houses. She found Finnick's house and knocked on the door, waiting a minute or two. The door finally opened up and there stood the green-eyed boy.

"Hey! Come on in." She followed him in and the smell of spices filled her nostrils.

"Smells good." She complimented as he led her to his kitchen.

"Thank you,"

<>

The night went well for the both of them. For hours, they talked and pasta. "Let me help you clean up." Ophelia insisted, picking up the plates and taking them to the sink where she planned to wash them.

"You don't have to—"

"No, I insist." The corners of his mouth turn up at her; she looks down to conceal the blush.

They clean up the kitchen together and once they were done the two sighed happily. "Thanks for coming," Finnick said as she walked toward his front door.

"Thanks for inviting me—I had a lot of fun."

He smirked and said, "Anytime."

She smiled at him one last time then she left and headed home.

<>

Months passed and Finnick and Ophelia's friendship grew. They would see each other almost everyday, and he even introduced her to Annie and Mags, (who she had already met at the Games.)

The brunette felt a real connection between Finnick and her. She just couldn't help but develop feelings for him.

Sadly, one day, everything changed.

She was alone in her house, watching TV. It was a mandatory announcement that she had to watch, so she sat there and stared at the large screen.

Snow stood before a crowd, giving a speech. She barely paid attention to the program until she heard the words: "75th Hunger Games,"

"It is written that every twenty five years there would be a Quarter Quell, to keep fresh for each new generation. The memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capital. Each water club is distinguished by games of a special significance and now on this, the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest can not overcome the power of the Capital. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell The male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

Ophelia's heart stopped.

"No, no, no, no!" She screamed and fell to the ground, sobbing loudly.

Images of her Hunger Games flash through out her mind.
She pictured the Careers who betrayed her, the Tracker Jacker sting she received, her allies getting killed right before her eyes.

She felt the world around her go numb. Her whole body filled with tremors and she found it harder and harder to breathe. Suddenly, Ophelia felt strong hands wrap around her small figure and lift her up.

"Ophelia, Ophelia!" The voice shouted, but she ignored it and accepted the darkness that was nagging at her.

<>