28 | captured

28

C A P T U R E D

        For the third time, Mia's body bounced off of her seat

        For the third time, Mia's body bounced off of her seat. The rumble of her car against her body shook her awake. Still disoriented, she blinked away her fatigue.

        "Yeah, I got her in the back," she heard Toby say from the driver's seat. "I had to do something to stop her! Listen, we're almost here."

        Mia still felt heavily intoxicated with sleep, her eyelids fluttering every few seconds. It was so dark, the night sky was looming over them like one large, heavy cloud. She could barely make out Toby's face if it wasn't for the white glow blooming from the streetlights highlighting his face. His phone was in one hand, pressed to his ear, while his other hand was steering the wheel roughly. The look on his face—that deluded, foreign look—was like a bucket of ice cold water poured onto her body, shaking her awake.

        Her body was laid across the backseat of her car. Her head pounded with pain, the front and the back of it, both places where Toby had hit her. Without giving away that she was awake, her eyes glanced up to the handle of the car door. She could open it and throw herself out as an escape. Sure, she'd be badly hurt, but at least she wouldn't be dead. But upon pondering the idea, she had realised the doors were all, in fact, locked. Not only was she being kidnapped, but her capturer had also come to, unfortunately, learn the benefits of having child lock installed in a car. Funny. She had never really needed that addition to her car but seemingly it had proved itself useful to strangers. 

        Her hands sneakily searched for her phone, but as expected, it was gone; probably under Toby's protection. Defeated, Mia shut her eyes while internally cursing at the universe. She literally walked into her own downfall and this would most likely be her last night breathing.

        There was no way she'd let a tear fall down her cheek, but thinking of where she was a few hours ago with Matias to where she was now, a vicious lump brewed in the back of her throat, ready to burst. This feeling of helplessness had taken a toll on her and she didn't know how much longer she could play pretend of keeping it all together. Despite being heavily fatigued and all out of spirit, right now she felt broken to pieces.

        "Listen, Bee, the bitch is all right! She punched me in the face I couldn't just allow —" Toby paused, a frustrated sigh sneaking past his lips. His tone evidently calmed, Beverley on the other line of the phone obviously overpowering him, as he said, "I know. Yeah. Okay. Sorry."

        And Mia didn't think it was hard to figure out who was the dictator of the two. In fact, she couldn't say she was surprised. Beverley was quite the character, and Mia was close to unfolding the last piece.

        With that, Toby hung up. With a huff, he set the phone in the armrest storage box, in between the passenger and driver's seat. The thing tauntingly glinted at her.