Chapter 3: Sirens

"Whatever you say, tiger." Ethan shrugged before grabbing a skincrawler and dragged it over to the others.

"What are you doing? " I cocked my head, watching as he piled the bodies together.

"Making a huge campfire." He sassed.

"Hey genius, won't that burn down the neighborhood?" I asked, curious about his reply.

"Skincrawler fires don't spread. Only burns their sticky black bodies. Surprisingly has no smoke either." Ethan smirked at me.

"You know you didn't have to take the term genius seriously. I was just kidding." But it made sense why the police never suspected anything.

Ethan shrugged then pulled out a box of matches, he took a few steps back, ending up beside me.

"Watch out." was all he said before lighting a match and throwing at the blood. Almost immediately, the fire spread. Painting the sky with its bright orange, yellow and red ambers.

"Wow." I gaped, gaze fixed on the flames that began to slowly die out.

I feel something nuzzle my hand and looked down to see Carla. Her ears were drooping and she looked sad. My heart swelled and I rubbed her head, this made her tail wag.

My gaze landed on Ethan who was busy collecting something on the ground. I quietly snuck up to him.

"Hey Ethan, whatcha doing?" I asked, causing Ethan to jump.

"Are you crazy?! Don't sneak up on me like that!" He yelled, placing a hand on his chest.

I roll my eyes at him and peek over his shoulder only to find a bunch of rocks. Why on earth is he collecting rocks?

A ridiculous thought crossed my mind, Maybe he would use them to keep the skincrawlers away.

Ethan bent over and picked up the remaining rocks, throwing them into a small pouch before attaching it to his belt.

"Why are you collecting rocks? Please don't tell me-"

A siren interrupted me. I looked over at Ethan only to find him staring at me with the same confused expression I probably had before it clicked in. Of course! The fire!

I turned my gaze to the dying ambers.

"We should get outta here." Ethan murmured.

"Way ahead of you, Sherlock."