Chapter 1: A nice stroll down death road

I never meant to kill my father. It was all a mistake. A misunderstanding. That day wasn't supposed to end that way. It wasn't meant to be him.

I lost something important that day besides my dad. Something like...my humanity.

We all live in a world full of deception and lies. False promises and hopes. Something they call love. I bet the only thing keeping me alive at this point is pure instinct, spite and Carla, my dog.

You see Carla isn't just any dog. She's a hybrid. A mixture of coyote and husky. She sees things others don't. Things that shouldn't be. Things not made for this world. She sees them. The Skincrawlers.

"Lets go back home, it's getting dark." I whisper, eyes darting around me as Carla and I walk down the street.

Something feels off. It's like I'm being watched or something. Carla must have felt it too. Her ears were perked and alert. Eyes searching the shadows when she suddenly stops.

For a second, everything froze. Carla barked and bolted forward. I let go of her leash and broke into a sprint. I can see her shadowy form bark and pounce on someone. The person yelps out as her body sends them crashing to the ground.

Without a second thought, I whip out my knife and kneel beside them. Carla growls and tries to bite the person but he keeps squirming. Blood was rushing out of his neck and pooling around his head. The sight was horrendous. Swallowing the bile rising up my throat, I squeeze my eyes shut before stabbing him in the heart, killing him instantly.

A small feeling of guilt builds inside me as I take in the sudden-metallic air. Carla slowly gets off the body, blood dripping from her nuzzle.

The corpse twitched once before shaking uncontrollably and I take a step back. The skin began to peel off in layers, revealing the blackish colour underneath, followed by the hair and lips, then the nose until all that's left is the black sticky body of a Skincrawler.

I shiver in disgust and look away, heart beating rapidly in my chest. How did people not know about this?

Gathering up my courage, I turn to look back at the body once more before pulling out my lighter and setting it on fire. Turning around, I briskly walked away.

This was the fourth time I had to kill a Skincrawler and it didn't make me feel any better. I always get the guilty feeling of taking the life of something that never belonged to me. Something touches my hip, I look down to find Carla rubbing her head against it. Smiling a bit, I ruffle her fur in return before sighing.

This is my life now. I guess-

My thought was cut off by a bloodcurling scream.

***
Hello!
Thanks for trying out this book! It means a lot to me. I hope you like it :)
BYE!!!