All I wanted was to take it all away. I started to move towards him but he shook his head, stopping me.

"Stop it." His voice was soft but firm. "Stop apologizing for things that aren't your fault, you do it all the time. You shouldn't apologize for leaving. If it were up to me I would have made you leave sooner so you wouldn't have to suffer as much as you did. None of this is your fault, you hear me?" The fierceness in his voice startled me.

His expression softened, becoming almost haunted. "You shouldn't forgive what I did three years ago Scarlett." I started to argue but he silenced me. "I was young, when Sara told me about Nichole I panicked. I was a fool but mostly I was a coward. I should have stood by your side, I should have done everything in my power to keep you safe but instead I abandoned you, I was scared and I thought if I stayed away I could protect you. I only ended up hurting you and I'm sorry. "

He took in a long shuddering breath. "Please know that I regret every second of it. I spent the last three years regretting it, and I will regret it for the rest of my life. Everything that has happened to you is my fault and I hope that you can  forgive me one day."

I swallowed. "It's not your fault." I tried again but he shook his head.

"Don't you see Scarlett? It is my fault. It will always be my fault. If I'd stayed away from you Nichole wouldn't have tried to kill you. If it weren't for me Ryder's men wouldn't be after you. I tried to delude myself into thinking that I could protect you, but the only person you need to be protected from is me."

I felt like my heart was being ripped apart. I wanted to scream but my lips refused to form words.

He took in a deep breath. There was a slight tremble in his hands.

"I came here today to tell you that I am done. I'm done trying to win you back, I'm done trying to be with you. Staying away from you is the only way I can protect you and I'll protect you even if it costs me my happiness."

His thumb brushed against my cheek and I suddenly realized that I was crying.

"You deserve so much better than me. You deserve to be happy." His eyes flitted in Jace's direction for a moment before focusing back on me. "You deserve all the happiness in the world Scarlett. Jace is a good guy. He can keep you happy. All I want is for you to be happy."

My tears were falling like the rain, I was afraid they'd never stop. I'd never felt heartbreak like this before.

Hunter closed his eyes briefly and winced like he was in pain. "I came here to say goodbye" He murmured.

No.

No.

You can't leave me.

Every one left me.

Mom. Megan.

Not you Hunter. Please.

I knew he could feel the pain he was causing me because he wouldn't meet my gaze.

"I'm leaving. There's nothing for me here Scarlett. Nothing except pain. This place is just a reminder for what I've lost," His eyes met mine briefly "And what I can not have."

"Hunter-" I choked out between sobs but he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, but it's for the best."

His gaze lingered on mine as he got up.

I watched as he turned around and left without another word.

I just sat there, dazed.

"So, you just let him go?" Jace's voice suddenly broke in.