t w e n t y f i v e

En başından başla

"Well, since you're so smart I think you deserve some ice cream." Daryl said putting the key in the ignition and starting off down the road. 

"Really?" Little Cherokee asked squirming in her seat. "Can we watch a movie when we get home too?" 

"If that's what you want." Daryl  said ruffling the young girls hair. 

"I'd love that daddy." She smiled a toothy grin and Daryl knew that no matter what struggle came at him, it would be worth it for the little girl in the passenger seat with her front tooth missing and hair braided back. 

---

Daryl and Merle were now strolling through the woods. Merle still refused to go onto the roads and Daryls irritation was getting more and more noticeable. They still hadn't found a place to try and catch fish and the hungrier he got, the more he became irritated. 

"Smells to me like the Sawhatchee Creek." Merle said. 

"There's a river down there, it's got to be the yellow jacket."  Daryl responded following Merle as he took the lead.

"You have a stroke boy?" Merle asked. "We aint never even came close to yellow jacket." 

"We didn't go west." Daryl argued back. "Just a little bit south. That's what I think. "

"Know what I think?" Merle asked with a sick grin. "I may have lost my hand, but you lost your sense of direction." 

"Yeah we'll see." Daryl muttered.

The two bickered back and forth for a couple more moments until cries were heard. A baby was wailing and when Daryl took off running he noticed a family being attacked by walkers. 

Despite Merle's protests and mockery towards the family, Daryl was determined to help the group on the bridge. He'd changed over the months without his brother to manipulate it. He now showed more compassion towards others but most of it went towards Cherokee. If Merle saw the way he cared about his daughter he'd probably say that he was raising her to be weak. 

---

The two decided on getting a small pint of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie and renting a movie. Running into the living room with two spoons while Daryl popped the movie into the DVD player, Cherokee hopped into the recliner. 

She scooted over to the side to make room for her dad and eventually she was sitting on his lap as they shared the pint of ice cream. Not focusing on the kids movie playing on the screen, Daryl turned his attention to the small girl in his lap. 

How the hell did he manage to get such an amazing kid? It's not like he had any good karma going for him. It wasn't a secret that Cherokee Rose Dixon helped get him on the right path. Everyone in the community knew it. As much as Merle hated it, he knew it too.

With her head leaned up against his chest the young girl started to doze off. Turning the volume on the TV down slightly, Daryl reclined the chair back. He knew this would happen, she never could stay awake for an entire movie. 

As her breathing evened out Daryl was no longer focused on the kids movie. He never was to begin with. Instead his attention was now on the young girl who was passed out on his chest. They rarely got these moments to bond and sometimes it was nice to treat his girl with something special- even if it wasn't much. That moment was ruined the second Merle Dixon burst through the door. 

"What's up little brother!" He boomed and Daryl gave out a large sigh. 

"God dammit Merle, quit yellin." Daryl snapped at him quietly to avoid waking the young girl on his chest.