Chapter 12 - Zoe's Judgment Day

Zoe Hale forgot how to breathe. As everyone inside the Hall turned dead silent, her mind became blank. Then one counter question roamed in her thoughts: ‘Is this some kind of trickery?’

What was that question about? Was it something that would be asked in a pageant like this? It’s absolutely personal. And confusing to Zoe. Why is she asked if she loves Stanley? It’s pretty obvious that she’d choose Brian.

Yet, why is her throat stuck in something? Her mouth was open, but no word registered.

‘What’s happening..?’

The crowd started to chatter, wondering why Stanley got mentioned. Zoe helplessly glanced at Stanley and Brian by the Judges’ Table. She could see they’re as surprised as her.

No, that’s a wrong word.

Shocked.

Yes, that’s it. Both guys were shocked.

Then she mentally slapped herself. What’s taking her so long? She has to answer the question quickly.

‘Okay, breathe. Breathe, Zoe.’

She expelled a long breath.

‘Tell them…it’s Brian.’

She brought the microphone to her lips. “I… Well, I…”

‘Why? Why can’t I say it?’

Her hands started turning cold from the sweat as her knees shook slightly.

‘Say it, Zoe. Say it! Say that you love Brian!’

“I… I love… I love…”

‘Hurry! Damn, what’s wrong with me? Brian is my boyfriend! It can’t be too hard to say that I love him!’

But something was stopping her. Something was preventing her from saying what was on her mind.

Before Zoe knew it, a tear fell from her eye.

The audience gasped.

Her pretty eyes were spilling abundant tears as she stared at everyone. “I… I love… Love…”

All of a sudden, the lights were turned off. Everyone got uncontrollably panicky in their seats.

“Please calm down, everyone!” The emcee shouted. “We’ll check the main switch quickly! Sorry for the inconvenience. Please just sit tight and relax.”

As Zoe came back to reality, she reached for her heart, her breathing uneven. She then noticed the tears on her eyes.

‘Tears..?’

She quickly wiped them away with her palm, gaining equilibrium as she heard people running in the backstage and around the area to get the lights back on. The darkness around her gave her time to calm down and think properly.

‘What am I going to do? I have to think quick.’

She’ll really lose if she doesn’t think straight. If the lights went back on and she’s still as helpless as she is now, she’ll be embarrassed. She will surely be the favorite topic among the students from tomorrow onwards. And Amy will laugh at her. Laugh at her pitiful state.

Her eyes started to fill again, “Oh dear…”

Then, a voice from behind her said, “Is that you, Zoe Hale?”

She jumped in a startled manner, turned around and took a step backward. “Who are you?”

From the voice, she could tell it was a guy. When the stranger’s hand reached out to her and pulled her to the person, she knew. The stranger is a HE.