Chapter 2 - Five years later

“Zoe, can I come in?”

Sighing, she replied, “Yes, Mom.”

Her bedroom door opened, revealing Lia Hale. The lady walked to her daughter who was sitting on the bed, “Why are you staying in your room all  day? I thought you and Bry had to go somewhere.”

The said girl looked away, “Well, right now, we don’t feel like seeing each other.”

“These petty fights again,” Lia muttered. “The two of you have had a lot of this ever since you got into this relationship five years ago.”

Her mother was right. Zoe is already fifteen years old while Brian is sixteen. When he became her boyfriend, nobody was bothering them like before, and she couldn’t get any happier. But as their relationship blossomed, their common arguments also arose. Just very little arguments. Both of their parents understood it as a way for them to be stronger, to strengthen their bond.

“You should talk to him, dear.”

Zoe looked at her Mom and gave a smile. Guess she should since she can’t resist him, anyway. “Okay, Mom. I will.”

That night, Zoe walked inside the Gunther household, searching for Brian. ‘It’s quarter to six. He’s probably inside his study room.’ She walked to that certain place and stopped by the slightly-open door when she heard his voice.

“Is that so? When will the convention be?”

She slowly peeked her head inside, seeing him standing with his back to her, a phone held to his left ear.

“Okay. I’ll see you there, Amy. Bye.”

‘Amy?’ She froze when she heard that name. She wasn’t able to move quickly when he turned around and saw her.

“Zoe?”

She stood erect, as if a bee had stung her. She looked away, feeling embarrassed and turning beet red. He just caught her sneaking into him!

He walked to where she was standing, “I was about to go to your place and apologize when Amy called and informed me about a convention for the members of the School’s Student Government.”

‘He’ll be busy with school again.’

“I see,” she replied. “I understand, Bry.”

And does it have to be Amy – of all people – who has to inform about the SSG’s plans? She’s not even a member.

“Zoe. I’m sorry.”

She looked up, only to see his puppy eyes and pleading facial expression. A soft laugh emanated from her mouth, “I came here to apologize, too. And you’re forgiven.”

He smiled happily, “Thanks. I forgive you, too.” He held her hand as they walked out of the room and went to the kitchen. “It’s time for dinner, Zoe. How about cooking dinner together?”

“I’d love to. But I couldn’t work with our hands entwined,” she teasingly replied to him.

“I can perfectly handle it.”

“But I can’t, Bry.”

“Sure you can. Won’t it inspire you?”

“Oh yes, it can inspire me to cook burnt food,” her voice rang with sarcasm.

Laughing hard, he let her hand go, “Okay, okay. I’ll let go. For now.”

She giggled with his statement, seeing the playful smile on his face. He really knows how to lighten things up after a fight. Brian is just how she expects him to be. Sweet and loving.