Chapter 13 - Confession Time

As she expected, Zoe found Stanley sitting on a wooden bench under the big fire tree. He was looking at the sky, that's why he didn't notice her coming near.

'Okay, just breathe, Zoe.' She tried to calm her nerves through her pep talk while walking to him. After her talk with Brian earlier, she decided to confess her feelings to Stanley. For some reason, she has this huge urge to tell him as early as possible.

'This is not the time to spill over your words or play tongue twisters. Make him understand. You can do this.'

She breathed out, careful not to make a stupid move. Giving her own self one last mental encouragement, she then called out to him.

"Hey, Stan."

He looked over his shoulder, "Oi, Zoe."

She walked closer to where he was and stopped just beside him. Just when she was about to say something, he interrupted her by saying, "Are you drunk?"

She blinked in surprise. Then thought with a grimace, 'Ahhh. He's right. I must be drunk for me to do something as ridiculous as this. On second thought, I would prefer being drunk right now. I might forget the humiliation of confessing my feelings to this guy in the next morning.'

"No, I'm not drunk. Why do you ask?"

"When you were approaching, you were walking aimlessly. And for such a lovely occasion tonight, you look haggard, as if you've been through some serious thinking for hours. Right now, you look a lot like Einstein, but when it comes to intelligence, you're nothing like him since your stupidity is just...out of line."

Her eyes were glued on his until the last word of his long explanation. 'How easy of him to read me. Just like that.' However, she didn't like the part where he compared her appearance to Einstein's. Not one bit.

She matched his half-serious and half-sadistic remark with all the sarcasm she could muster. "Why, thank you, Stan. You really know how to make a girl feel good."

A defiant smirk was plastered on his handsome face.

She made a face, then sat beside him. There was silence between them right after. Amidst her anxiety, Zoe started the conversation again.

"So, what are you doing out here? Everyone's inside. Having fun."

To her success, he took the bait. "Well, I have always enjoyed sitting here in the backyard at night. I feel at peace here. At times like this, I'd clear my mind, then sort out some problems."

She was secretly entranced by this side of him. "What problems?"

"Hm, let's say it like this... Did you ever have the feeling that you're enjoying in doing something, but you have to stop it because it's wrong?"

"Ah, that feeling," she smiled. "Yes, I did."

She had to let go of Brian, even though she felt happy with him. It's wrong to abuse his love when she doesn't feel the same.

"How about you? The party inside is for you. Why are you here?"

'Cuz I came to tell you that I love you.' She fought the urge to say that out loud.

"We're the same. I love it out here. The moon, the stars," she closed her eyes, embracing the moment, "and the tranquil atmosphere. It's my dream to share this romantic setting...with the one I love."

He seemed tense when she said the last phrase in a whisper. She took a cautious glance from the corner of her eye to see if he got the message.

To her dismay, he replied, "That's an easy dream. You can just drag Brian here."