Chapter Twenty-Three

Anna could never imagine being used to the organised chaos of Diagon Alley. Nor could she decide whether or not she liked it. There was nothing she enjoyed more than seeing the wonders and beautiful magic of the wizarding world but, she never really liked how busy it could get in some places.

Lucky or her, she knew of a small quiet café that was away from the noisy crowd. Which was where she and Zinnia were visiting today. Zinnia said she wanted to take her out for her birthday, even though her birthday wasn't for quite a while. It was the start of July and her birthday was at the end of August, but Zinnia wanted to celebrate now anyway, which Anna didn't mind.

They sat at the café and almost immediately Zinnia handed Anna her present, they hadn't even gotten food yet. Zinnia was known to be good at buying people gifts, she had creative ideas, Anna and Darian always came to her for help when they had to buy someone something. Anna was far too indecisive when it came to buying presents.

Anna quickly unwrapped the present to find a plant inside, Anna knew it was a Succulent since Zinnia owned and loved to many of them. She also knew that Succulents were very easy to look after and didn't need to be watered very often, which was good for Anna since she didn't have Zinnia's herbology skills. It was adorable, and Anna loved it.

"Aww it's so cute Zinni, thank you," Anna cooed.

"You're welcome. You gonna name it?" Zinnia asked.

"I think it looks like a Ralph, what do you think?"

"Absolutely, definitely a Ralph."

"It can keep your bonsai company on the train ride to Hogwarts," Anna grinned.

"Grace the bonsai could always use some company."

While Zinnia owned many plants, her bonsai was the only one that she took with her to Hogwarts, she said it needed special care. The rest of her plants stay at her home were Zinnia's mother and little brother look after them.

They went and got their food next, with Anna getting a spinach and feta pastry and Zinnia getting a chicken pesto pasta salad, before they sat and chatted for a while. At first, they talked of school, Zinnia was curious about what she would be doing this year, she already knew about some of the stuff she would be learning since she always had to listen to Anna and Darian complain about their homework, but she still wondered about the things she would have to focus on this year. Anna also confessed she was terrified since she was in her fifth year which meant she had to do her owls this year.

"You'll do fine Anna, as long as you don't freak out," Zinnia reassured.

"What's the chances of me not freaking out this year?"

"Try to keep the freaking out to a minimum then."

"Will do," Anna agreed, "So... how are you and Alicia going?"

"Not this again," Zinnia groaned.

"I won't tease you," Anna reassured softly.

"It's going well..." Zinnia said with rosy cheeks, "I really like her."

It took a mighty amount of Anna's willpower to not start gushing about how cute they were. But she held back the tide and tried her best to be a good friend.

"You know, she probably feels the same," Anna said.

"Yeah... I'm just scared."

Anna hated seeing Zinnia feel so vulnerable, she felt so protective sometimes.

"Scared of what?"

"That she doesn't like me, that she won't what to hang out with me anymore if I confess how I feel about her, what if she doesn't want to be my friend when she finds out that I like girls?" Zinnia confessed quickly and nervously.

"Zinnia... I didn't know you felt this way, you should have said something. I wouldn't have teased you. Nor would have Darian."

"I know... You're always saying it's dangerous to bottle up your emotions."

"Exactly... And rest assured, I'm sure that Alicia likes you. You should ask her out. Even if she says no you can still be friends, no way would she break off your friendship for something like that... And if she does than she's not the type of person you want to be friends with," Anna said with certainty.

"I'll try my best, but I make no promises," Zinnia replied, looking a little surer of herself than she was before.

"As long as your happy, that's okay."

The chat turned to lighter topics after that. The food was as amazing as always and when they were just getting hungry enough for something sweet, a familiar voice interrupted from behind Anna.

"What are you two up to?"

Anna spun around to see Terence grinning at her, she also noticed the way he frowned when he looked to Zinnia which bothered her, but she decided not to make a scene.

"Arriving just in time for sweets, as usual," Anna teased.

"Well I can't say no to sweets."

The three of them went to get their sweets, with Anna getting a blueberry muffin, Zinnia getting a lemon meringue, and Terence getting a caramel slice. Anna was happy to notice that Terence seemed less tense around Zinnia and was acting normal as they munched on their sweets.

"I'm guessing you've spent your holiday practicing your Quidditch skills," Anna said.

"Of course, everyone has high expectations for Slytherins this since we dominated against Gryffindor last year. I've got to keep my skills sharp," Terence replied.

"It might not be so easy to win this year," Zinnia huffed.

"That cup will be ours if I have anything to say about it," Terence grinned with a fiery determination.

"Yes, and I'm sure you do have a lot to say about it," Anna rolled her eyes, although she did have to admire people's love for the sport, "why don't we go have a walk around?"

"Yeah sounds like a good idea, I might be able to find an early birthday present for you," Terence grinned, "don't even bother protesting."

"I might find something else for you too," added Zinnia.

Anna let her protest die out, there was no point in trying to change their mind, it was best to just let them do what they want. Anna enjoyed herself for the rest of the day, spending time with some of her friends. She also enjoyed the rest of her holiday too, which seemed to pass by so quickly. Before she knew it she'd be back on the train to Hogwarts. 

AN: Thanks for all the lovely comments on the last chapter! I'm still amazed that people actually like what I write