Chapter Two

Anna sat at the Hufflepuff table with Zinnia and Darian on either side of her. They were waiting for the first years to come in and be sorted into their houses, it was always fun to watch them be welcomed by their house. She watched as the herd of first years scuttled into the Great Hall, crowding together, and looking up in wonder at the roof that was enchanted to look like the night sky.

The sorting hat was placed on a stool and as usual began a song about the four houses, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Ravenclaw. Anna clapped along with everyone else in the hall, the first years looking even more nervous as Professor McGonagall started to call up their names.

"Rosemary Alberts."

The small fluffy haired girl was the first to be placed in Ravenclaw. They continued down the alphabet, with David Appleby being the first to be sorted into Hufflepuff.

"Katie Bell," was called and the hat deliberated for a few seconds before shouting out, "GRYFFINDOR!"

She was welcomed to the table with thunderous applause. The hat continued sorting people like Cormac McLaggen (Gryffindor) and ending with Ed Woodrow (Slytherin). Professor Dumbledore stood up to make an announcement but before he could start, to everyone's amusement and Anna's absolute horror, a small red paper phoenix flew down and perched itself on top of Dumbledore's pointed hat.

Everyone grinned and even though no one looked at her, Anna started to turn red in embarrassment. Dumbledore seemed just as amused as everyone else, she could have sworn that he sent a wink her way.

"Welcome to one more year at Hogwarts! Before we tuck in to our feast I have an announcement to make. Our Defence Against the Dark teacher, Professor Elmer, has decided that he would like to take up a position in the Ministry of Magic. I would like you to welcome Professor Rush, who has agreed to fill the position."

"Do you think he'll be able to last longer than a year?" Darian whispered to them as they gave Professor Rush a polite applause. Anna wasn't sure if the older looking man would last more than a year, he looked a little fragile to her, with thin limbs and a long white beard. Not nearly as long as Dumbledore's though.

"Now let the banquet begin," Dumbledore announced. Instantly plates were filled all sorts of food imaginable, the first years were stunned for a few seconds, but the rest of the school leapt at the food eagerly. They all filled their plates up with their favourite food, goblets filled with drinks and Anna scrunched her nose up at the pumpkin juice and settled for water instead.

Once the puddings had disappeared and everyone had eaten as much as possible, Dumbledore stood up once again, the paper phoenix had not moved once during the feast. He made the usual announcements (don't go into the Forbidden Forest, Quidditch trial in the second week of term, etcetera) and then sent them all off to bed. Some of the first years looked like they were about to fall asleep on the table.

The three of them wondered along to their Common Room, Anna and Darian looking far sleepier than Zinnia. They tapped on the barrels, entering into the short corridor that lead to a spacious room. All around them were students greeting the small paper animals that had made the Common Room their home. It was always wonderful way to be greeted after coming back from holidays, a group of first years nearby were crouched around a paper dog that was wagging its tail playfully at them.

Of course, the paper animals weren't the only things in the room to greet the students, the round windows along the wall that were level with the ground outside, had happy waving cacti perched on the windowsills. The plant holders dangling from the ceiling were swaying as the ferns inside tried to brush the tops of the student's head in hello.

Everyone always felt welcome in the Hufflepuff Common Room and there were even comfortable yellow coaches placed in circles on the edges of the room, in case people wanted a moment to themselves. This led to the centre of the room being empty for activities, like if a year group wants to get together to study or play a game or it could be used to party like a birthday celebration.

Anna received the warmest welcome of all, looking down at her feet, she sees a paper badger much larger than all her other creations. In fact, Bazza the Badger was the size of a normal badger. He looked about as excited as something made of paper could, she crouched down, and he lifted his paws onto her knees.

"How you been Bazza? Not too bored I hope," she gave him a quick pat before Bazza went to give Darian and Zinnia a similar welcoming. He then hurried off to a nearby group of first years who shrieked with glee when they saw how adorable he was.

Bazza had become a sort of mascot for Hufflepuff House, Anna always brought him along for quidditch games since he seemed to enjoy watching them but other than that he didn't really leave the Common Room much. She had also made sure that he was waterproof for when it rained during quidditch although he wasn't fireproof, so she had to make sure that he didn't get too close to the fire that was constantly burning in winter.

Darian yawned out a good night to them before making his way down the corridor that led to the boy's dormitories while Zinnia and Anna went down the opposite corridor. Anna let out a tired 'nighty night' to Zinnia who went into the third year's room and Anna went into the fourth year's room.

She quickly got changed into her pyjamas before snuggling under her patchwork quilt, all the rest of the fourth-year girls were fast asleep. It took her under a minute to fall asleep, her last thought bringing a smile to her face. 'Tomorrow was a Sunday so at least she didn't have any classes.'