Back to the Past

Disclaimer: I do not own Vampire Knight or any of its characters. Those belong to Matsuri Hino.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(Over 1,000 years ago-Cross Academy)

(Kaname POV)

Kaname jolted awake, thrashing his arms, fighting against restraints that were no longer there. He stopped, breathing heavily. 

The early evening sunlight seemed brighter than normal, hurting his eyes. He raised a hand to block it—

And froze.

It was already early evening?! It had only been about eleven in the morning when he had left Ai and Ren! He had to get out, explain to them what had happened. He swung his feet out of the bed and was halfway to what he somehow knew to be the bathroom when he looked at the room he was in.

The bed was huge, bigger than a California king, he would guess, and took up most of the space. The sheets were a dark crimson color, and seemed expensive. The windows letting in the sunlight were partially covered by curtains that were the same color as the bedsheets, and took up all of one wall. There wasn't really anything else to suggest that a person lived here, no pictures, or even a piece of art hung on the wall.

Kaname felt the strangest sense of deja vu. Like he had been here, in this room, before. 'But that's ridiculous,' Kaname thought. 'I've never been in here before.'

And yet.....

Shaking his head to clear his mind, he continued to the bathroom. 

And froze in the doorway.

The floor of the bathroom was a sort of cream colored tile, polished so fine that he could see his reflection. The tub was large enough for three, and Kaname decided he really did not want to know why someone would need a tub that large.

He walked over to the counter, fully intending to splash some cold water on his face, when  he caught sight of his reflection and stopped dead for the third time in as many minutes.

Kaname was several inches shorter, and he looked more like he was in his late teens, not mid to late twenties. His skin also seemed smoother, and like their was an ethereal glow to it. His body also seemed more proportional. It was like God himself had reached down and wiped away all of Kaname's physical flaws, big or small. And his eyes...

His eyes were the color of blood, glowing so brightly that he flinched away from the glare they were throwing on the mirror. 

"Kuh..!"

Kaname's hand flew to his mouth as a razor sharp pain ripped through his gums. He could taste blood in his mouth, and could have sworn that his eyes glowed brighter than ever. 'This is so not my day,' Kaname thought to himself, internally wincing at the thought of the scolding Ai alone would give him when he got back. 

Kaname glanced back at his reflection and went still. 

Protruding from his lips, almost obscenely, were enormous fangs. 

Kaname was a vampire. 

He bared his teeth, suddenly and irrationally angry. He couldn't help but notice that the wound on his lip had already healed. 

With a roar that wasn't human in the slightest, Kaname punched the mirror, shattering the mirror into a thousand pieces. A sharp wind had started blowing through the room despite the fact that none of the windows were open. 

Kaname started shaking, his bloody hand dripping blood onto the floor despite the fact that the wound was already healing. 

Kaname could hear what sounded like arguing going on downstairs, but couldn't make any of it out over the ringing in his ears. 

Suddenly his door flew open.

"What the fuck happened here Kuran?!" A male voice demanded. Kaname knew that voice. He did. But how? 

"Zero!! Try to be a bit more respectful to Kaname-senpai!" A female admonished the male.

No way. It couldn't be. She was dead. They both were. 

"Tch...why the hell would I be nice to that monster?" The male snorted. 

Kaname slowly turned around, trying to give his mind enough time to wake up from this nightmare—because a nightmare could be the only possible explanation to what Kaname was seeing, hearing. 

What he saw nearly sent him to his knees.

A tall boy with silver-gray hair and cold amethyst eyes stood beside a petite brunette with warm chocolate colored eyes. Both were in a black uniform with a white armband embroidered with a red rose on their left arm. Kaname recognized them instantly. He had seen countless photos of these two. 

But the biggest giveaway was how much they resembled their children. 

"Yuki....Zero...."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

(A/N): So sorry this update is so late! Really! I'll get the next chapter out much sooner, promise!! In the meantime, tell me what you think about this chapter. I know not much happens, but I want to know your thoughts and feelings. By the way, I know in the first chapter Ren was referred to as a he even though Ren is a girl, so I'll get right on fixing that. And if you see any errors, please tell me, I'll fix those too!!

Bye for now!