Chapter 22: The End

I sighed. I was lonely. The pack had started to get tired, and Peridot had started to have to ward off vampires. I brought my knees to my chest and growled. Suddenly, the tent opened and crawled inside.

"Hey," she said. "How are you handling?"

"Fine," I replied.

"You look bored," Peridot said.

"I am bored," I responded.

She leaned in and kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "Do you want me to stay in here with you?"

"Kind of," I replied. "But you have to protect me!"

"I can stay in here if you want," she said.

"No, no," I responded to her. "You need to do what you need to do. Go out there."

"Are you sure?" Peridot asked.

"Yeah," I replied.

She tried to crawl further into the tent, but I pushed her away. "Lapis," she said.

"Go," I demanded, kissing her nose.

Finally, she got up and exited the tent. When she left, I zipped up the entrance.

Why did I do that?

I facepalmed.

Why did I make her leave?

I lay down on my sleeping bag and thought of her. She was my life. I was destined to be her bride. She had imprinted on me, and that meant that she was everything I ever needed. Not only that, but she was everything I ever wanted. I looked at the zipper, hoping she would come back. Nothing happened. I groaned and laid my arm over my eyes.

I made her go away.

Before I even became aware of it, I had fallen asleep.

I felt something press against my lips. I woke up immediately, and unwillingly, my fist flew into the intruder's face. It hurt so badly. I held my stinging fist in my other hand and bit down on the inside of my cheek.

"Geez," a voice said. "For a human, you can really pack a punch."

I gasped.

That was Peridot.

"I'm sorry!" I shouted.

She chuckled. "It's fine," she said. "Let me see your hand. You're the one you should be worried about."

I held my hand out towards her. She carefully held it and examined it.

"Yeah," she said. "I think you bruised it. It'll sting for a bit, but it will eventually feel better."

"Are you made of stone too?!" I asked.

"No. I still have my human skin," Peridot answered. "My bones are just a heck of a lot stronger since I'm a werewolf."

I glared at her. In response, she kissed my hand.

"I love you," she whispered. "I didn't mean for you to hurt your hand or to scare you."

"Maybe next time you try to kiss me while I'm asleep, you, instead, should wake me up first," I said.

Peridot laughed. "I'll consider that," she said, grinning at me.

I leaned in and kissed her. After the initial shock, she melted into it. She pulled away and searched my face. Then I watched her curiously.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Why'd you do that?" Peridot asked me.

"Because I wanted to kiss you," I answered her.

She then smiled at me and leaned in for another kiss. I pecked her lips and giggled.