Chapter 6: Mine

I watched Peridot try to pop open a bag of marshmallows.

"Can't you go into your wolf form and bite the bag open?" I asked her.

"That's too much effort," she replied. "It's just a bag of marshmallows."

"Why do you need to open the bag anyway?" I asked her.

"We're having a bonfire tonight, and we're gonna make s'mores," Peridot responded. "We invited your dad."

Pop!

The bag ripped itself apart and sent marshmallows flying everywhere. Peridot jumped up and sped around the room, catching each marshmallow before it hit the ground.

"Wow," I said. "Maybe you should have just used scissors."

"Probably," Peridot agreed.

I watched as Peridot tried to put the marshmallows back in the mangled bag.

"Do you need a plastic bag?" Yellow asked.

"Yeah," Peridot replied. Yellow threw the box at her, which she caught with ease. "Thanks."

I helped her put all of the marshmallows in a bag. She closed the bag and looked over at me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Are you going to stay again tonight?" Peridot asked quietly.

"I don't know. It depends on what my dad says," I replied.

"Oh...okay." She looked away.

"Do you want me to stay?" I cocked my head to the side.

"Well...kind of. I don't want you to go, anyway," she appeared to blush as she spoke.

"So you want me to stay."

"...yeah."

"Aw." Peridot opened the plastic bag and popped a marshmallow into her mouth. "You have a sweet tooth?" I asked.

"Sweet teeth." She looked over at me and grinned, revealing her sticky marshmallow-covered teeth. "S'mores are my favorite."

"They're my favorite too," I responded.

"Peridot, don't eat all of the marshmallows!" Yellow yelled.

Peridot rolled her eyes. "I won't," she said.

"There's no need to get worked up over marshmallows," I said. "You'll save them now and get s'mores later. Isn't that a good deal?" I smirked.

"Maybe..." Peridot eyed the marshmallows in the plastic bag.

"I thought they were your favorite."

"They are."

"So save the marshmallows."

"Fine." She closed the plastic bag and put it next to her.

Peridot took off her glasses and cleaned them with her shirt.

"What do I look like when you're not wearing those?" I asked.

Peridot looked over at me. "You're a little out of focus, but I can still see your detail," she replied.

"How long have you had glasses?"

"Ever since I became a werewolf. My vision went bad when I became one, and no one knows why." She put her glasses back on and blinked.

"Can I ask a question?"

"You've asked a bunch already, Lapis." I paused and stared at Peridot. She smiled. "Ask away."