Chapter 38: Toads are done with your shit Naruto.

Now the toad summons are wise creatures. Old, knowledgeable, with patience to spare. But the toads were just done. Absolutely fed up and done. Their little sage had finally done it. He had broken the patience of even the great Gamamaru.

At first the toads had just been confused. Extremely confused. But after the pieces started to fall in place, they just got angry. Now, Summons are creatures of more chakra than flesh and blood bodies. So when the entire world started to spin and fold in on itself, all the summons panicked. When the destruction ended, it wasn't rubble that greeted the toads when they regained consciousness.

Their world was intact. But their brethren were not. Some were missing, some were much smaller and younger looking, and the most shocking was those that were now alive. In a shocking twist of fate only those who had been alive to experience the shift in the world knew what was going on. Everyone who had passed on before the time of the shift had no clue of what was going on. It was only because a now vast majority of the toads remembered and could give details and all attested to the tale that the travelers were believed. After the somber reunions with missed loved ones and the saddened hearts about those that hadn't either survived the journey back or may have just been too young to have a body to return too.

There had been politics and leadership roles to sort through now for cases like Gamakichi, who had become a chief among the toads after his father's retiring post war and had earned the respect of all who had traveled back. Though he now was barely past the size of a large fist. It had taken them along time to sort out their internal politics. In their defense, time can move differently at Mount Myoboku and toads are bad at keeping time. It was 9 months in the realm of humans by the time the toads left Mount Myoboku and began their search for an answer.

They had little to go by. Not much seemed to have visibly changed. Hiruzen was Hokage, Kakashi was still a porn reading loner, Tsunade was still missing, Jiraiya still tried to peak in bath houses, the Uchiha clan was still alive at this point in the timeline, everything seemed as it should. Except for one thing. Naruto was gone. He wasn't in Konoha and it had taken a cautious questioning of Jiraiya to learn that the boy and Hinata had left the village. Jiraiya had immediately been notified when Naruto had gone missing. But even the great toad sage hadn't been able to track down the boy.

Now the toads had a veritably solid lead on who to blame for this time mess. Their little sage and his wife were at the center of everything. The exasperation felt among those who knew Naruto personally, such as Gamabunta, Gamakichi, and to an extent Gamatatsu, resonated through the entire toad population. Gamabunta and Gamakichi the most. Gamatatsu was just upset about the snacks he had now never eaten and had decided to blame Naruto.

The toads had begun to track down Naruto themselves. They had little luck at first. He was no longer listed on the summoning scroll so they could reverse summon him to find him and question him. So they had to begin searching by feeling for his chakra. They had thought that would be easy. It was not. The jinchuriki was either suppressing his chakra himself or had sealed off his chakra flare with a sigil. So they had to begin a more manual intensive search in the form of going to the different lands and traveling throughout hoping to detect the boy's chakra.

It took over two month. But the toads had the numbers and the dedication to do it. They had eventually narrowed it down to the Land of Waves. They had felt a small flare and had traced it back to the Land but could not find the boy immediately. The salt water also proved a big deterrent. It took a final week to actually locate the boy and then try and find a time to confront the two of them.

So when Naruto and Hinata came strolling into the clearing with a picnic basket on Naruto's arm, Gamakichi found it absolutely hilarious that the picnic basket came crashing down to the ground when he shouted at the pair.

"Finally! I've been waiting!"

Naruto had dropped the basket and was in front of Hinata with a kunai in grasp in a blurred flash. It took the boy a few more seconds before he registered the voice and then yelled back at the toad.

"Gamakichi where have you been you bastard!"

-------

It took the boy and a toad two minutes to finish their yelling reunion. As cute as it was it was starting to annoy Hinata. She could barely understand what they were saying and it was getting on her nerves.

"Quiet!" The two dropped silent as stones. She smirked internally before continuing. "Now as great as it is to see you again Gamakichi maybe a slower more complete explanation would be helpful?"

"Right you are Princess."

Hinata groaned. "Gamakichi you know I don't like when the Toads call me that. I don't deserve it."

The toad grinned. "Sorry princess but since you saved this one's butt," a thumb pointed at Naruto, "When even our best couldn't gives you an automatic respect."

"Still, the Toads should not be deferring to someone like me as such."

Gamakichi waved his hand in dismissal. "Don't worry about it. We want to so we will. You should feel honored." He ended his sentence with a teasing smirk.

Hinata sighed. Due to Naruto's more brother like relationship with Gamakichi, the toad had taken to teasing her like any brother-in-law would.

"Fine. But how'd you find us? And, more importantly, why are you here? How can you know and remember what happened?"

The toad just sighed and then grinned a shit-eating grin. "We don't really know the why or how, Princess. Just that the world started to fold in on itself and then we woke up about a year and a half ago now. It took a long time to get things sorted out and then track you and the mini-sage down."

Naruto was grumbling to himself at this point about being ignored. Gamakichi grinned again and jumped onto the boys head. "Haven't been able to this for a while, now have I?"

Naruto broke into a wide smile and finally laughed. "Good to have you back Gamakichi."

"You too Naru-brat."

This took forever to get right. There was an original typed version, trashed that, then a pencil and paper, trashed half of that, and finally this final bi that I'm still not 100% happy with. Hope you liked it!