Chapter Eleven

For a few seconds, it appeared as though Renata didn't know where to look, whether it was at James directly, the ring in his hand, or the invisibility cloak that had fallen to the floor

For a few seconds, it appeared as though Renata didn't know where to look, whether it was at James directly, the ring in his hand, or the invisibility cloak that had fallen to the floor. Her hand held a steady grip about the golden snitch in her hand, even though the small object was no longer attempting to escape her hold. Needless to say, she was in a state of shock, unsure of how to react to the final clue that had presented itself to her finally. After a wild scavenger hunt that took her through old memories that she shared since coming into contact with James and Harry Potter, Renata was speechless that it had all ended in a proposal.

Of course, it hadn't crossed her mind yet that as James remained in the uncomfortable kneeling position that he was still waiting for her answer. Although the longer the time went on, the smile was starting to fade from his face as he came to the conclusion that there was a fifty-fifty chance that Renata could say no. After all, they had been together for a relatively short time in comparison to a lot of couples that became engaged. However, James could say that during the short amount of time that he and Renata had been together that they had been through more than what most couples would go through in a lifetime.

The proposal was his way of saying that there was no one in the world more perfect in his eyes, no one would ever come close to ever matching what Renata meant to him. Who she was as a person for not only him but what she meant to Harry as well, what more could James ask for at the time? Before they had even become romantically interested or invested in one another, Renata's love for Harry had been prominent. And that was one of the first things James had fallen in love with first.

Her devotion to Harry, acting like his mother, being a mother to him when Harry needed her to. She always placed others before herself, which was harmful in some respects but it showed just how kind and selfless she could be. She worked hard, she was incredibly intelligent, sweet, and funny, never really afraid to be herself as a person.

James realised that rather than thinking all of this while kneeling in front of her, he should be telling Renata those things. Maybe it would help her see why he was deciding to propose at the moment.  Even if she answered with a "no" at least Renata would know how he truly felt when it came to everything about her.

"Ren?" he called out to her, bringing Renata to drag her gaze away from the ring in his hand. The ring itself was very beautiful, the square cut heirloom ruby was definitely able to capture the little bit of light inside of Putney's.

"It's beautiful," she finally spoke, " I...I..."

There was an antique like appeal to the ring as it was quite old, the fashioned gold around it, allowed the ruby to pop out more so than anything about the ring.

"I hoped you would like it," James told her, " I know not everyone is a fan of the ruby gem and I know it's not a diamond, but it was more the sentiment behind it that I wanted to give it to you. You see, this was the first ring that my father bought for my mother after they started dating and it was her favourite. She said it always brought her good luck and she gave it to me before she passed away, hoping that it would bring me good luck one day. And I ended up putting it away..."