Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

He didn't slow down or turn around to face me, he only kept on walking. "Yeah, why do you ask?" His voice sounded monotone, and I felt like something really was wrong with Ryan.

Is that what he wanted to talk to me about?

He opened the door, and held it open as I walked inside the dark room. Ryan switched in the lights, and followed me into the room. "Can we uh, sit down?" He pointed to the couch, and I nodded. "Uh, yeah... Sure."

I sat down quietly, and Ryan followed suit. He sat right next to me, and began itching his arm nervously. "I know this is kinda sudden, but..."

He took in a deep breath, and for the first time, I was actually pretty sure that Ryan was not 100% okay. Hell, this didn't even seem like Ryan.

"Listen... Uh..." He darted his eyes around the room like a paranoid drug addict, and I just sat with my hands in my lap, starting to feel uncomfortable.

"I haven't been honest with you. At all. I, uh..." He looked at everything except my eyes. He avoided my gaze like a mouse would avoid a hawk.

"Ryan, is everything ok? You seem like you really changed over these past few weeks..." I said starting to grow more and more uncomfortable.

"Yes, er I mean- No, I-" he started to fumble over his words, like a car when it crashes and starts to roll. Well we all know how it ends in the end. One big final crash, and a little while later, everything erupts in fire.

"Ryan..." I said cautiously, and he seemed to have calmed down slightly. He regained his normal breathing, but he tightly closed his hands until his knuckles were white.

"Seren, I have to say this, I can't beat around the bush anymore." He seemed to be re-summoning his courage, like he was going to burn through it like a match. "Seren, I cheated on you."

Everything in the room seemed to have stopped, and my eyes widened as I just stared at Ryan in shock. What did he..?

"I cheated on you Seren... I... I don't have any excuses, and I know it's too late to apologize, but I... I just-!"

"You... Cheated on me?" I said, the pain that was searing through my heart came flooding through my voice in utter betrayal. Ryan cheated on me.

"I know Seren, I'm sorry." He just looked down, as if he was ready to start crying himself. "I, just, ugh..."

"With who? When? Why?" I know we were already over, we have been for few weeks now, but the thought of sweet and loving Ryan cheating in me while we were still happily dating somehow seemed to have destroyed even the memories of us ever being happy.

"Listen Seren, you're not going to believe this. I know I'm a lying cheater, but I'm telling you the truth." He seemed defeated as he was spilling the truth at long last. "I... I don't know her name. She lied to me about her name. I... It was a month before our anniversary. I met this woman, she was so...

We were drinking together, and she told me a little about herself, I told her about myself, and in the end I guess I was really nervous... I got drunk, and she offered to bring me to her hotel for the night... She was being so nice, I didn't... I didn't want to say no.

And... We had sex as soon as we got to her hotel room. I want to say I don't remember most of it, but... That'd be a lie. And I promised I wasn't going to...

I woke up the next morning, and she was gone. So I figured I outta get out of her room before she came back... And... No matter how hard I tried, I just... I don't know Seren... I craved her... She was... It's like heroin. I have no idea how all that started, but... As soon as I have had a taste if her, I never wanted to stop...

A few days later, we happened to meet again by the mall... She didn't seem to glad to see me, but we ended up doing it again in her car... And I just became... Obsessed.... We met up different times to see each other, and I...

I felt so guilty about it Seren, I really did, but it was just so... I'm sorry I have kept it from you for so long... But that's the thing about long. It never lasts forever..."

I just let all the information sink in, and I felt like a bandaid had just been ripped across my heart. I couldn't believe what I was hearing...

"Who was she..?" I asked with rage seeping through my words. Ryan seemed taken back, but just looked down as if he understood why I was mad.

"Like I said, I don't know her name... The hotel she was at said she booked out, and when I asked for a name, they said her name was Sarah White. I went around this entire town trying to find her, but nobody seemed to know her.... It's like she completely disappeared, and..."

We both sat quietly on the couch. I just kept staring at my feet the entire time, many emotions welling through my mind. I wasn't sure how to control them, or if they should even be suppressed at all.

"And... I have to be honest about why we broke up... The truth is... After almost a month of trying to search for her, I gave up... But the guilt just kept building... I know I haven't known her for long, but every time I was with you, I saw her, and well... It just got to be too much for me... I felt so guilty, I knew you didn't deserve any if that, so I decided it should end... But I guess that just made things worse... Not only did I lose you, I also lost the woman... And I don't know how to handle it..."

Ryan rubbed his eyes with exhaustion, and I just looked from him to the ground again. My words no longer existed, I had nothing to say to him anymore. Truth was, I didn't know what I could have possibly said... He's only known her for less than a month, and he valued her over me, while we were still dating, but... Did I have the right to be mad anymore..?

Settling my thoughts, I got up from the couch, and walked over to the door. "S-Seren..?" Ryan called over to me in alarm, but I just continued to walk away.

I put my hand in the doorknob, and Ryan called out to me again. I didn't turn around, I just kept my gaze locked on the doorknob. "I forgive you."

And with those final words echoing through my mind, I opened the door and walked away. Away from Ryan, away from the truth, and away from every memory I cherished of our special moments thought out our 5 years.

Goodbye Ryan Keller.