forty eight - "queen of mario kart"

Four months had gone by since the exams and Brad and I had both passed them by miles

Four months had gone by since the exams and Brad and I had both passed them by miles. I had just finished my second set of exams and finally had our fifteen week break before I started my second year at university.

"Hey," Brad grins, moving some hair behind my ear as he places a kiss confidently on my lips, which only makes my mouth grow into a smile. "Summer has officially started."

"I've never been more happy to have time off," I conclude as we walk over to his car. We'd already packed our stuff for the summer so we could leave as soon as we were ready. "James agreed for me to swap back into our dorm, by the way."

He looks over to me with a frown, "I'm not coming back after summer."

"What?"

"I'm not coming back after summer," he repeats. "I've finished my course now and I managed to get a job, too."

"Oh. I didn't know you'd finished," I purse my lips, turning to look out the window. Brad and I never really discussed our university stuff, so I didn't know he had finished uni at all.

"I'm gonna get an apartment near work," he assured me. "It starts when you go back to uni and it's in Birmingham so you'll be able to see me still."

"Cool."

I couldn't deny that I was disappointed that he was moving into an apartment and that we'd not see each other as often. I was just so used to seeing him everyday at university or going out partying or going to town.

He turns to look at me, tearing his eyes off of the road for a second before sighing and turning back to the road again.

"So I was thinking we could do some travelling over the summer?" He starts a new topic of conversation and I'm thankful because otherwise this car could get really awkward.

"Yeah? I think we should go to Cardiff or Glasgow or something," I agree. "I think the long drives will be nice."

"You say that, but you're not the one driving," he teases me and I laugh half heartedly. "What about Bournemouth? There's some really nice ice creams down south."

"If we're going south then we may as well go all out and go to Cornwall," I reply, watching Brad's hand move over to grab mine and he squeezes it. "You okay?"

"Yeah," he smiles contently as we continue to drive back to Sutton. My mum had called Brad—yes, she called Brad over me—while we stopped at a McDonalds for some food to ask where we were and within twenty minutes we were at my house.

"Hello, Bradley!" She coos, engulfing him into a tight hug. "How've you been?"

"I've been good, thanks," Brad chuckles, his arm moving so that it's over my shoulder. "You've been alright?"

"Yes, yes!" She nods, smiling and letting us walk through the front door. She wraps me in a quick hug before I go back to Brad's side. "Are your mum and dad over tonight? It's gonna be great to meet them again."