「 EIGHT 」

dear renjun,

i spent tonight thinking everything over, about chenle's words to me in school─to confess to you.

which was why i was standing in front of your locker the next day in school, waiting for you patiently.

"yiren-ah? what are you doing here?"

"can we talk somewhere else more private?"

i watched as you contemplated over what i said. i observed you carefully─the crease of your eyebrows as you thought it over, the grim line of your lips, and your eyes, which wasn't their sparkling usual self. but you looked worse then ever, your face was as pale as a ghost, your cheeks were sunken, and basically, you didn't look well.

i was worried.

out of instinct, i reached out a hand to graze your cheek, but you grabbed my wrist, your eyes burning with distaste. i swallowed down the lump in my throat.

"don't," you warned.

and when you said that one word, i knew in that moment that i would never compare to herin and that you would definitely reject me.

"i like you, renjun oppa." i blurted out on impulse.

i watched as you frown, before releasing my wrist and crossing your arms over your chest.

"ridiculous. first you slap me, saying you don't want to be friends with me, but now you're confessing to me?" your words were like a bucket of cold water poured over my head, drenching me in icy cold water.

i didn't say anything as you slammed your locker closed, pairs of eyes looking at us as you turned on your heel and walked away.

then there was physical education—you and me were in the same group, but no matter how i tried, you refused to even spare me a glance.

i noticed that today your reflexes were slow, sloppy and the way you played volleyball during class was weak, unlike your usual energetic self.

were you sick? that was all i thought about the entire time.

i barely felt my hands hitting the ball back to the opposing team as i kept you in my sight, making sure you were fine.

unfortunately, i was too focused on you that i didn't realize that the ball was heading towards me and hit me in my face, making pain surge throughout my muscles.

i blacked out immediately, falling to the wooden floor.

"yiren-ah!" you immediately raced to my side, squatting down beside me, worry clouding your face. chenle was by my side too.

i didn't care about myself at that moment, only you.

"are you okay? are you sick? you look so pale," was all i managed to say before i fell into a world of darkness.

i hope you're not sick, huang renjun.

from,
yiren.

— ♥ —