01 | anamnesis

0 1

a n a m n e s i s

[Greek]: To recall past events; a recollection.

IT COULD HAVE been a staring contest. A battle of the fittest, of some sort. On either side, we were currently attempting to tip the scale; to find a victor between agreement, as well as thorough refusal. And in our case, he was the green light, whereas my stance remained a bloody hell, no.

Per usual, when it came to the subject at hand.

His left eyebrow twitched. "Yes."

I beamed at him, feeling my lips stretch in nothing short of an impish grin. "Well, no."

My words seemed to fall like dust flecks off his shoulders.

"Personal assistant, secretary, creative director," he continued, listing off the positions like the ever annoying know it all he was. "I'll give you anything you want."

I snorted, and then leaned back into my chair. "Creative director, really? Someone's getting tragically desperate."

"Well, you're certainly giving me no choice," Cole clapped back. "I'm giving you options here. Coin clinking options." As though my brain was clogged, he deemed it fit to rub his fingers together for effect. "Especially since you're not agreeing to just sit pretty, and get a degree."

I shot him a cool look.

"You mean with the tuition fee you'll be paying? That one?"

"Details." He waved me off, before his look turned even more impatient. "Oh, come on, Cass. Enough is enough. When are you finally going to ditch this place and come work for me instead?"

His voice raised, and I immediately swat at his arm to shut him up.

"Shawn is going to have your balls if he hears your yapping," I hissed. "And we both know just how much your life depends on those two."

He seemed to take the hint, and simmered down with a roll of his eyes.

"Besides," I went on, offering him a pointed stare. "Quit hating on Haven. This is my base."

The blue-green eyes I knew far too well narrowed at my response, and he leaned in close to level my gaze. "I maintain, you are the most obstinate rat in the whole damn Metropolis."

I shrugged with a smile. "I try."

After he shook his head, and let out a chuckle, I knew he had caved in. At least, today. Well, just like he had for all the past, probably six hundred and something ones before.

Point, Cassidy. For the nth time.

My obviously much too arrogant friend, never failed to try to bribe me into leaving my job, nearly every day. Which was basically as often as he came here.

Honestly—and I would admit, that I wasn't exactly heavy on bucks by any standards. But the thing was, dear Cole was quite the opposite. As head of one of the most successful publishing companies in the country, his social status and monetary value was as good as Everest, compared to mine dancing carefree on the bottom soil of the mountain.